View previous topic | View next topic

Bees

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

ClaireBear
591429.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote

Where do they go during the Winter? Do they just huddle in their hives to stay warm..

CB27
591462.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote

Most bees simply die out in winter as there's no use for them. The queen bees are the only important bees and depending on the species they find different ways of keeping warm with a "skeleton crew" during the winter until the summer when all the new bees hatch from her eggs, ready to work till they drop.

dr.bob
591613.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote

Some bees take shelter in bee houses, assuming people have gotten 'round to putting a bee house in their garden:

http://www.foxleas.com/bee_house.htm

gruff5
591626.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote

should think you could claim for those on expenses

Posital
591677.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Don't forget to deduct any rent paid.

ClaireBear
592217.  Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, that's some quite interesting stuff.
Ha, I may put a bee house in my garden for next winter so that alot of helpless bees can survive

Lady Jennifer
831650.  Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Occasionally, from amidst the maniacal ramblings comes a gem of useful information. I have recently had occasion to encounter the repeat of one such gem.

Whilst watching a rerun of QI (Dave) the subject of Bees was discussed and I was reminded of a drowning bee that I discovered in a rain collecting container. Having fished the poor bedraggled and sodden insect from the water I remembered the snippet which suggested that a drop of honey would revive it.
I took the patient into the house where I placed it upon a folded sheet of "kitchen roll". The tissue absorbed a surprising amount of water, yet the Bee showed little sign of recovery until I placed a drop of best Lavender Honey on its antennae.
After cleaning itself, the insect perked up a little and attacked with gusto the three further drops of honey that I placed beside it.
Seeing that the creature was rapidly improving, I carefully placed it back in the garden to continue its life.

I was surprised at both how quickly the honey worked and also how much the insect took.

Thank you QI for the suggestion.

Spud McLaren
831659.  Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, Lady J. Stick around.

dr.bob
831715.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote

Hooray! I'm glad to hear that QI really is a force for good. I feel much happier knowing that somewhere out there is a bee that wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for QI.

I probably shouldn't be quite so cheered up by the fate of just one bee, but there you are :)

Ainee
831760.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote

Well it cheered me up, too! Thanks Lady J! One bee saved!

Bee houses can be made for Bumblebees by piling up sawn-up hollow bamboo lengths. Bumbles hide up (hibernate?) during the winter, and the little pyramids for them look rather nice in a corner of the garden.

Spud McLaren
831799.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I probably shouldn't be quite so cheered up by the fate of just one bee, but there you are :)
And why not, say I? It's a life too, ain't it? And possibly more deserving than some.

Jenny
831822.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote

Welcome Lady J :-) I'm glad your bee survived because of QI information.

dr.bob
831824.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
Bee houses can be made for Bumblebees by piling up sawn-up hollow bamboo lengths.

Why do you have to saw up the bamboo?

I have lots of bamboo canes that I only use during the summer so, come winter time, I generally leave them outside piled in an untidy heap in the corner of the garden. I assume bees are just as able to use the full size ones, and I can tell myself that I'm not being untidy, I'm being wildlife friendly :)

Posital
831998.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote

I eat my bees with honey
I've done it all my life
it makes them taste quite funny
but it keeps them on my knife.

Hmmm... something's not right...

Anyone need a "queen excluder"?

aTao
832062.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:38 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Ainee wrote:
Bee houses can be made for Bumblebees by piling up sawn-up hollow bamboo lengths.

Why do you have to saw up the bamboo?

I have lots of bamboo canes that I only use during the summer so, come winter time, I generally leave them outside piled in an untidy heap in the corner of the garden. I assume bees are just as able to use the full size ones, and I can tell myself that I'm not being untidy, I'm being wildlife friendly :)

You dont have to, but if you do you can make a tidy little bundle that can hang on a wall like a bird box.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next