View previous topic | View next topic

Is H a vowel?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Ellie
601628.  Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Welcome Ellie, by the way. :)

Thank you very much! ...and I may have to nick that for a signature post, bobwilson. ;)

thedrew
612801.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote

"ll" in Spanish is not a vowel. It makes a hard "y" sound as in "yes" not a soft "y" sound as in "rhyme."

"I Griega" is how "Y" is pronounced in Spanish (Greek I). However they never use it as a vowel, in fact it is normally used only in foreign words, or native American words (Yucatan).

In the US, school children are taught a vowel song. In it, they list the vowels as "A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y." Nevermind that many of us pronounce "R" as a vowel.

suze
612808.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Traditionally, the sound of <ll> in Castilian Spanish was /ʎ/ - much the same as the sound in the middle of million. But that pronunciation is by now unusual outside Spain, and even within Spain it's becoming confined to the north east.

So yes, /j/ (i.e. the sound of English <y>) is by now the more common way to pronounce it. (Except in the Rio de la Plata region, where it's often /ʒ/.)

I don't think it's right to say that <y> never represents a vowel sound in Spanish, though. Muy and hay are pronounced exactly the same as would be mui and hai.

thedrew
612839.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I don't think it's right to say that <y> never represents a vowel sound in Spanish, though. Muy and hay are pronounced exactly the same as would be mui and hai.

Good point. I will point this out to my Spanish-speaking friends next time they pan the English language for having confusing rules. "And sometimes y" is one of their favorites.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2