View previous topic | View next topic

Robin

Page 1 of 1

ChristopherRobin
588057.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

The European Robin (Erithacus rubecula) is different from the American Robin (Turdus migratorius). The latter belongs to the thrush family (Turdidae). The former used to be classified as a thrush, but is now regarded as belonging to the family Muscicapidae, which includes the flycatchers.

Gaazy
588085.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote

Don't I know it.

In the film Mary Poppins, set in London, the 'robin' featured in a song is the American kind - or, to be precise, an amateurish model of one.

samivel
588094.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote

That seems quite appropriate, given that the film also includes an amateurish actor of the American kind.

Susannah Dingley
588136.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote

ChristopherRobin wrote:
The European Robin (Erithacus rubecula) is different from the American Robin (Turdus migratorius). The latter belongs to the thrush family (Turdidae). The former used to be classified as a thrush, but is now regarded as belonging to the family Muscicapidae, which includes the flycatchers.

There are a number of bird species which were once in classified in the family Turdidae but are now in the family Muscicapidae. They include the Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe), Common Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus), Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros), Stonechat (Saxicola torquata), Whinchat (Saxicola rubetra), Nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos) and, as you mention, the European Robin. Iím still familiar with these species, despite not having been into birdwatching for years now.

I donít really know why these species have been reclassified, but I would suspect it was as a result of DNA analyses.

Zebra57
650239.  Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote

Our robin unlike its European cousins does not hide from human contact. In the great forests that once covered this country robins used to follow wild boar. As the boar snouted in the earth the robin would look out for any insects etc uncovered. The robins in Britain have just substituted a garden for the forest and a gardener for a wild boar!

Page 1 of 1