View previous topic | View next topic

Helmets

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Celebaelin
588532.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote

The advantage of maintaining peripheral vision if you're not fighting in formation or from horseback is exactly the point of my liking for the hoplite helm design. The historical materials used make it more vulnerable than later helms but given a liberal fantasy interpretation a steel version is a fine piece of kit indeed and is both aesthetically pleasing before the plume gets knocked/taken off and rather workmanlike and menacing afterwards.

Sadurian Mike
588535.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for hoplites anyway so I agree that the helmet is rather pleasant.

If you remove the plume and make in in steel, though, you pretty much end up with a closed barbute.

Celebaelin
588548.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote

To quote virtually the entirity of the Wiki article on the barbute

Quote:
A barbute is a visorless war helmet of fifteenth century Italian design, often with distinctive "T" shaped or "Y" shaped opening for the eyes and mouth. The barbute resembles classical Greek helmets and may have been influenced by a renewed interest in ancient artifacts.

The helmets of Gondorian soldiers in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy closely resemble barbutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbute

LotR Gondorian helms.

Quote:
Shall I describe it for you, or would you like me to find you a box?

Legolas to Gimli at Helm's Deep

SteveTaylor
588581.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote

Barbutes are a nice piece of kit. They offer good vision and, just as importantly, good ventilation.

The one advantage that a chapel or some salets have though if that the sides of barbutes tend to be straight which means that shots coming to the side of your head are difficult to angle away (you have to tilt your head really far for the weapon to slide off).

They can also be problematic if you have a big nose and it sticks out, apparently.

Sadurian Mike
588597.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'd prefer a visor to a barbute or bascinet, despite the vision advantage. Mind you, I imagine that the cost and weight of adding a visor to a bascinet or similar would have been considerable.

Sadurian Mike
588599.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
To quote virtually the entirity of the Wiki article on the barbute

Lol, there you go then. If Wiki agrees with me I must be right....

Celebaelin
589714.  Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Mike, you recently mentioned that you'd been spending time playing NWN2 so you might already know this but the only helm I'm aware of that a character can wear and have it appear in the animation rather than just be an inventory item in that game is the Paladin's Helm. It's pretty much a barbute, perhaps more akin to the LotR designs than the historical ones but a barbute none the less!

Gyndawyr
589731.  Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote

Those massive ears on the second one actually look like if you positioned them right; would serve to be useful as for deflecting sword blows to the side of the head, etc...
because of instead of it slamming the side of your head it just gets stuck in the ears :)
Though Ive never seen a helmet that intentionally utilised that sort of idea :P

Sadurian Mike
589759.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Mike, you recently mentioned that you'd been spending time playing NWN2 so you might already know this but the only helm I'm aware of that a character can wear and have it appear in the animation rather than just be an inventory item in that game is the Paladin's Helm. It's pretty much a barbute, perhaps more akin to the LotR designs than the historical ones but a barbute none the less!

They all seem fine if your main character wears them, but the NPCs certainly never want to appear in their new headgear. I didn't know that about the paladin helm.

Celebaelin
589817.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote

Ah! That sounds more likely - I'll have to do an NWN2 helmet review... perhaps I should keep my plans for a busy Sunday to myself.

Sadurian Mike
589821.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote

*mentally reviews NWN2 NPCs*

*mentally considers "helmet" review*

*shudders*

Celebaelin
589855.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote

Surely Bishop must be a priority.

Sadurian Mike
589861.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote

He probably does his own reviews fairly regularly.

m1ndy9876
589896.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote

What about this?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8220697

Sadurian Mike
589914.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown lives on.

Mmmm, plastic helmet on head with firey jets just above....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next