View previous topic | View next topic

Marsupials are Mammals!

Page 1 of 1

jgrgilbert
26282.  Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Just watching episode 3 on BBC4. Stephen Fry wrongly made the point that marsupials are not mammals. They are. Mammals are furry or hairy animals that secrete milk.

It made me jump up and down!

Flash
26289.  Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote

That does seem to have been a slip of the tongue. Jimmy Carr preceded it with the comment that "all the indigenous mammals in Australasia are marsupials", which is accurate.

Donald
26297.  Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote

It sounded like Stephen trying to be a smartarse - if they're marsupials then they aren't mammals. Ha!!

Completely wrong of course. It may me jump up and down too.

Gray
26340.  Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote

Ah, I haven't seen Ep 3 yet... I can't believe we didn't pick that up in the recording! Naughty us.

MatC
26347.  Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote

It amazed me, too - but in a slightly different way: I thought "Blimey, I'd always understood that marsupes were mammals ... imagine me being wrong all these years ..."

The Power of Fry, you see; whether used for Good or for Ignorance.

JumpingJack
26351.  Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote

Stephen is not perfect. Like anyone else he makes the occasional mistake. Almost always these are spotted and corrected, sometimes they are not.

In the first show Stephen mentioned that Nero burned Christians as human torches along the Appian Way. It turns out that this famous event actually took place five years after Nero's death, under the Emperor Vespasian (69-79) when 6,000 rebels were crucified after the unsuccessful revolt of Spartacus in 73/72 AD.

The management apologise for letting this one go. We don't know everything either and we don't have the resources to check every word that everyone on the show says.

We would, of course, like to have these, but, because everyone behind the scenes in modern TV is on minimum wages and short contracts, the QI team during the editing is skeletal and under intense time pressure.

Hopefully, if the show gets more successful and the company as a whole becomes reasonably solvent, we find the time and the money to go over the shows with a fine tooth comb after they have been cut rather than before they are recorded.

JumpingJack
26352.  Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote

The mammals/marsupials thing is different.

I know perfectly well that marsupials are classified as mammals, but I let it stand because I am a mean bastard.

If Stephen wants to show off, that's his look out.

Mwahahahaha.

JumpingJack
26353.  Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote

I would like to apologise profusely to Stephen for my behaviour.

Jenny
26373.  Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote

So you know that he reads this website, do you? Now that is interesting!

Page 1 of 1