Harry Potter / Half-Blood Prince

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Susannah Dingley
588129.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Susannah Dingley wrote:
There is something I donít get though.

In the book there are references to various attacks directed against the wizarding community by Voldemort's mob, but Harry hears about them via newspaper accounts. I guess this scene is supposed to gather all of those up into one scene, and to have Harry actively involved in that scene, so that the danger is personal to him.

That might be the reason for that scene, but I still find its inclusion in the film rather odd. I mean, Harry is going to be involved in no end of personally dangerous situations in the final book anyway. That one scene is hardly a baptism of fire for him.

IronMonkey
588130.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I went to see HP and the HBP yesterday - I was somewhat underwhelmed, though it was still enjoyable and it had some great set-pieces. I thought it dragged a little, to be honest.

All the HP books are definitely better than Twlight though.

*sigh* I've already bought tickets online for tomorrow when I saw they had sold out today, I hate films that drag. i hate Twilight more, we were forced to endure it in English so we played cards. I can't say i hate the books since i haven't given them a proper chance yet, but a quick look gave me no reason to carry on.

PDR
588149.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Sorry to spoil the ending, but Bruce Willis is a ghost.

It's not bruce willis, it's Christen Scott-Thomas masquarading as willis by way of a chest wig and some polyjuice potion - do try to keep up!

I thought the chap who played Voldemort (as a grown man) was definitely at his best in this episode, but Emma Thompson was disappointingly one-diemansional.

PDR

Jenny
588644.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote

IronMonkey wrote:
i hate Twilight more, we were forced to endure it in English so we played cards. I can't say i hate the books since i haven't given them a proper chance yet, but a quick look gave me no reason to carry on.

Why the hell would anybody choose to teach that book in an English lesson?! It really isn't that well-written, IMHO.

Susannah Dingley
588648.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Falling educational standards, IMHO.

IronMonkey
588994.  Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote

It was the film actually. For some reason for the last 2 weeks of term the teachers can't be arsed to teach us anything so just make us watch films

MinervaMoon
589204.  Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote

Man, when it was our end-of-term and it was mostly review instead of teaching, we used to watch things like "Amadeus" and Joseph Campbell documentaries, which was actually very welcome. I can't imagine why on earth your teacher would choose to put on "Twilight" unless she is a 14-year-old girl.

Ion Zone
589211.  Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote

The first one was 0k. I had a go at the second one, but lost interest when I encountered a seemingly infallible literary tradition.

SteveTaylor
589395.  Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
The first one was 0k. I had a go at the second one, but lost interest when I encountered a seemingly infallible literary tradition.

What tradition?

Sadurian Mike
589397.  Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
Last film I went to see was some Chick-flick with Keano Reeves about a house boat and time split romance. Not my choice, of course.

That'd be The Lake House then, not a houseboat, but a house built out over the lake.

That's it, my mistake. It was a few years ago now.

Ion Zone
589576.  Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What tradition?

When you have a male character in a book with long hair, you can be absolutely certain that it will be shaved off by the end of the book or, failing that, in the sequel, also, with the inclusion of an arbitrary secondary love interest, and a now increasingly standard and depressed one at that (Huge muscles, tight shirt, you get the idea), the rest of the book was basically guessable, and the sheer depressive nature of the story made me lose interest.

Sadurian Mike
589758.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
When you have a male character in a book with long hair,

I hate reading hairy books. Including the one about the chap who makes Wedgewood bowls.

You know, the hairy potter books.

Bondee
589867.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote

Mr Nice by Howard Marks, aka Hairy Pothead.

m1ndy9876
589895.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote

Has anyone seen it in 3d imax ? I read on IMDB that it is only in America... and the 1st 20 mins only

Ion Zone
589994.  Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate reading hairy books. Including the one about the chap who makes Wedgewood bowls.

Hmmm? Hairy books? Like... moldy?

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next