View previous topic | View next topic

Harry Potter / Half-Blood Prince

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Susannah Dingley
584336.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote

Yes, Iíve read the books Ė in particular I read HBP twice. But having seen the first five films, I just want to see all the rest for the sake of completeness. And the new film is certainly better than the previous one Ė for some reason I couldnít get the feel of the action in OotP at all. The new film follows the book much more closely, and the scenes are more sequentially linked and the action flows more smoothly. David Yates has certainly done a great job.

There is something I donít get though. In the middle, there is a scene in which the Weasleys and Harry are lured out of the Burrow by Bellatrix and Fenrir Greyback; when they return, they find the house burning down. Whatís that all about? I donít get the meaning of it at all. This bit isnít even in the book.

MinervaMoon wrote:
We all jumped out of our skins--I admit to screaming--at one point late in the film, but I shan't reveal which.

Ahahaha! I didnít. I mean, it was so predictable (especially when you had read the book and knew exactly what was going to happen next). It all started with the final scene of the film Carrie (based on Stephen Kingís novel), didnít it? I bet directors have been copying it to death ever since. But it was a fun moment though. I enjoyed it too.

Last edited by Susannah Dingley on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total

MinervaMoon
584383.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I've read HBP dozens of times and it was still frightening!

saracc
587194.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote

I'm sure the great mr Fry will have a fair bit to say on Harry potter as he has read them all for the CD collection of the books, and very well he does it too i may add.

how hevenly would that be my 3 fave things all togeather, Stephen Fry, QI and Harry Potter.

ahh bliss

exnihilo
587206.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote

I appear to be entirely alone in this, but I just don't get the fuss about Harry Potter. Oh well.

soup
587215.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote

I read them in a 'funny' order I read ...Azkabhan first, as my son was reading the whole series and I had heard that the books were getting 'older' and darker as the series went on, so I decided to read this before him to see if it was suitable. That whetted my appetitive so read the first two, to be honest if I had read ...philosophers stone first I wouldn't have bothered with the rest of the series.
I felt the series started quite children's bookish (...stone was Dahlesque) and got 'older' in theme and language as the series went on .
I do not think it was that well written (good but not brilliant) but it got a lot of people (children mostly)reading .

Jenny
587738.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote

I went to see HP and the HBP yesterday - I was somewhat underwhelmed, though it was still enjoyable and it had some great set-pieces. I thought it dragged a little, to be honest.

All the HP books are definitely better than Twlight though.

AnneB
587745.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote

We went to see HBP last Thursday. Benben and Rosalie liked it. I don't go to the movies much, so I can safely say it's the best one I've seen since the last time I went to the movies. ;P

Sadurian Mike
587752.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Last film I went to see was some Chick-flick with Keano Reeves about a house boat and time split romance. Not my choice, of course.

Before then I think it must have been LoTR part 3.

Gyndawyr
587814.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote

I liked some of Dean R Koontz, among others. I could not stand reading harry potter. Im a really reluctant reader, usually interested in fiction alone. I tried, ohh how i tried to understand why harry potter gained so much popularity, but aside from being generically over budgeted and aimed at a wide audience I could not figure it. I tried listening to the CDs and everything, I just could not sit and listen...
Find me books about factual topics, or those that throw plenty of things into question all at once (like im prone to doing) and I usually like those books.

Dean R Koontz in questioning mentality, kept me interested in a story based on some guy who goes round saving people. I think it was Cold Fire, maybe im mistaken. The guy thinks its an alien half way through and it turns out to be something else. ohh well

Flash
587863.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
There is something I donít get though.

In the book there are references to various attacks directed against the wizarding community by Voldemort's mob, but Harry hears about them via newspaper accounts. I guess this scene is supposed to gather all of those up into one scene, and to have Harry actively involved in that scene, so that the danger is personal to him.

exnihilo
587876.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Last film I went to see was some Chick-flick with Keano Reeves about a house boat and time split romance. Not my choice, of course.

That'd be The Lake House then, not a houseboat, but a house built out over the lake.

masterfroggy
587879.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Sorry to spoil the ending, but Bruce Willis is a ghost.
Nope, Bruce Willis is an actor He just happens to play a ghost, and only in one film.

SteveTaylor
587892.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote

Gyndawyr wrote:
Dean R Koontz in questioning mentality, kept me interested in a story based on some guy who goes round saving people. I think it was Cold Fire, maybe im mistaken. The guy thinks its an alien half way through and it turns out to be something else. ohh well

Cold Fire! That takes me back. I loved Lightening, Face of Fear and Watchers.

Great books

IronMonkey
588118.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
Have you read the books? I'm not particularly fussed about the films...I've seen 'em up to "Goblet". Meh. the books are great though, and they've recently re-released FBaWTFT and QTtA with new covers - I like books that bring out stuff on the history/background of the world in which a story is set. It just adds more...stuff...to it. :)

FBaWTFT and QTtA. Monkey not get!!

masterfroggy
588125.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote

IronMonkey wrote:
Ameena wrote:
Have you read the books? I'm not particularly fussed about the films...I've seen 'em up to "Goblet". Meh. the books are great though, and they've recently re-released FBaWTFT and QTtA with new covers - I like books that bring out stuff on the history/background of the world in which a story is set. It just adds more...stuff...to it. :)

FBaWTFT and QTtA. Monkey not get!!

Mini books
Fantastic beasts and where to find them
Quidditch thought the ages

Jo wrote them to raise money for charity,

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next