View previous topic | View next topic

Harry Potter / Half-Blood Prince

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Susannah Dingley
583942.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Iím going to see the new film at the Odeon South Woodford tomorrow Ö tell you all about it then.

Ameena
583951.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Have you read the books? I'm not particularly fussed about the films...I've seen 'em up to "Goblet". Meh. the books are great though, and they've recently re-released FBaWTFT and QTtA with new covers - I like books that bring out stuff on the history/background of the world in which a story is set. It just adds more...stuff...to it. :)

Ion Zone
584006.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote

I like the books better. The films are 0k, from the second one up to the Goblet of Fire. For the books, I don't much like the first one or the last one, though most of the rest are 0k. Half-Blood prince was where it started to tale off, I think, and the last one suffered a lot from them spending so much time not really doing much. Setting books over a school year, even when the characters aren't at school, got a bit formulaic, especially in the last two (though was broken up a bit by the tasks in Goblet of Fire).

MinervaMoon
584082.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote

Just got back from midnight showing of HBP. It was quite wonderful, perhaps even better than the last one, which was also quite wonderful. I live in a college town, so five screens in the same theater were packed with university students (of the sort who are inclined to go to midnight premieres of Harry Potter), so it was a great atmosphere. We all jumped out of our skins--I admit to screaming--at one point late in the film, but I shan't reveal which.

Will probably go back when they start putting the 3D version in theaters. I remember the effect being pretty impressive for the last movie, and can only hope it'll be even neater for this one.

The books are better of course, and having been a fan for 10 years I'll always throw in my loyalty with them, but there's no reason not to enjoy the films as well.

Posital
584083.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote

JKR appreciates your donations, honest. We're another step towards Potterworld.

MinervaMoon
584093.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote

As someone who never lives more than two hours away from Orlando, I say that theme park can't be opened soon enough. It's set to be finished, contrary to what that article says, in 2010. We'll have to visit on a school day.

scottydog
584096.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote

I know that JKR always saw an end point to the stories and credit must be given for that but it is a bit trendy to timeline things just now. I think that it would have been nice to freeze time and really create a culture of Harry Potter stories and retain the initial magic that has to some extent been eroded.

If I were to be critical I think that after the second book, JKR constructed the stories with the films in mind, hence a few sensationalist storylines. I cannot criticize too much. I think both the books and films are very good and the books got so many children reading again that we owe them a great debt of gratitude.

MinervaMoon
584102.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote

The films weren't even conceived until round abouts the fourth book, though. I don't think I'm being too defensive of JKR to say that the stories came to mean too much to her (she started to map out the plot as early as 1990) for her to compromise her idea of them for the purpose of making a screen play. I think she's said that she might have made the first few books as detailed as the last few ended up being, but there's an understandable difference between being a poor, unknown author and being a writer who knows that millions of people will buy her next book no matter how long it is.

scottydog
584111.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote

Touchy! They're good stories but far from fantastic, you're right, she's made a killing and good luck to her. Perspective dictates that I do not put her on too high a literary pedestal though. Sorry.

MinervaMoon
584118.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote

Really, nothing to apologize about. I'm not a die hard venerator, but I have read quite a lot about her life over the years, and there is something to admire in her perseverance and dedication. I've seen haters who are resentful of the popularity of the books in comparison to their literary quality, and that resentment often extends to their author as though she had to apologize for others' reaction to her work. I have to believe that were the books only fractionally as successful as they ended up being, they would have been written, funds allowing, exactly the same.

Lukecash
584147.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote

It's rather strange, I think to claim that the Harry Potter series has no great literary quality. I've read a few of them (But for some reason, have never kept up with either the movies nor the books) And they were entertaining, engaging and very structurally sound from a literary standpoint.

The great thing about her is that she constructed her tale without us seeing the seams. What she created in her series is on par with Jules Vern and L. Frank Baum.

I wouldn't put her on par with Tolkien, Vonnegut, Dickens, Hemingway or Twain-Each of them developed a new form of literary tradition.

Ion Zone
584175.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote

Quote:
the stories came to mean too much to her (she started to map out the plot as early as 1990)

There are few good authors who live more in this world than their own, you need to be obsessive just to finish a novel.

Lukecash
584177.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Quote:
the stories came to mean too much to her (she started to map out the plot as early as 1990)

There are few good authors who live more in this world than their own, you need to be obsessive just to finish a novel.

Yes, but did they make the same impact as she did?

CB27
584245.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote

Sorry to spoil the ending, but Bruce Willis is a ghost.

Starfish13
584303.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote

Lukecash wrote:
The great thing about her is that she constructed her tale without us seeing the seams. What she created in her series is on par with Jules Vern and L. Frank Baum.

I wouldn't put her on par with Tolkien, Vonnegut, Dickens, Hemingway or Twain-Each of them developed a new form of literary tradition.

And tonnes better than Stephanie Meyer.

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next