View previous topic | View next topic

HUMBERSIDE or EAST YORKSHIRE?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

andy
581321.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote

Is Humberside still an official county of England? I thought it was finished as a county in 1996 and was brought back to be called East Yorkshire, yet people still insist on referring to it as Humberside especially news reporters, news papers and a lot of postal services.

Humber Bridge was once the longest single span suspension bridge in the world. What are the current top 5?

w...
581330.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote

As of 1st April 1996 Humberside ceased to be an English county. The part above the Humber (Hull et al.) is 'The East Riding of Yorkshire' and south of the river is either 'North Lincolnshire' (Scunthorpe area) or North East Lincolnshire (Grimsby & Cleethorpes area).

Wikipedia entry I do like the first line of the section about its abolition 'Humberside was not well-loved'

(Edited due to my poor standard of English)

Susannah Dingley
581357.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote

The names of some organizations still have “Humberside” in them because they were formed during the period when Humberside was officially a county – for example, Humberside Police. Perhaps changing the names officially would cause too much unnecessary bother and so the old names continue to be used.

andy
581370.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote

Organisations / companies you can understand not changing their names, but surley if you look for addressess on computer say in the Hull area,it will generally come up with North Humberside not East Yorkshire, after 13 years dont they need to update their programmes!!!!!!!!!

Davini994
581379.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote

I believe that is because Royal Mail still has it in their systems; so postal addresses with North Humberside in them are technically correct even though the county ceased to be 13 years ago.

ColinM
581420.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote

I doubt anyone will be in any hurry to update their addresses soon. My mum's address still says Middlesex, despite that county not having existed since ... (checks Wikipedia) 1965.

Susannah Dingley
581435.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote

And Middlesex County Cricket Club is still very much alive and kicking.

Davini994
581464.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote

There's no such place as Middlesex???

Janet H
581552.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote

East Bloody Yorkshire! (surely?)

Bondee
581612.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
There's no such place as Middlesex???

I bloody well hope there is!!! I live there!!!

Or has my life been one long illusion?

suze
581630.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote

I fear that perhaps it has. You, I am reliably informed, live in Surrey.

Davini994
581639.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote

I worked at Central Middlesex hospital for several years. How can somewhere that doesn't exist have a centre? Where on earth was I?

Bondee
581656.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I fear that perhaps it has. You, I am reliably informed, live in Surrey.

Yes, you're right suze. Middlesex now only exists for "postal" purposes.

Staines is a bit of an anomaly when it comes to location. Although it's now classed as being in Surrey, it's actually on the wrong side of the river. So it's not just my life that's been an illusion, but also my home town which, apparently, exists in its own little part of England. That would explain the backwardness of a lot of the locals.

The River Colne, which joins the Thames just east of Staines bridge, was once the official western boundary of Middlesex.

The next station towards London has undergone several name changes which has caused quite a bit of confusion. It was originally known as "Ashford (Middlesex)" to distinguish it from "Ashford (Kent)". A few years ago South West Trains decided to rename it "Ashford (Surrey)" which resulted in passengers for "Ashford (Kent)", now known as "Ashford International" arriving in the town and asking for directions to the Channel Tunnel Rail Link because they'd been told not to go to "Ashford (Middlesex)".

suze
581697.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Yea, the two places called Ashford do seem to cause a fair amount of confusion.

The good husband assures me that when Middlesex County Council was abolished, all bar two of the areas which had been within its area passed into Greater London. The two were the Ashford / Staines area which passed to Surrey, and the Potters Bar area which passed to Hertfordshire.

You don't seem to see any references to "Potters Bar, Middlesex" these days, so why the people of Ashford and Staines have been more resistent I don't really know. Is it just the notion that Ashford and Staines are on the Middlesex bank of the Thames, and hence can't possibly belong to Surrey?

Bondee
581724.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Is it just the notion that Ashford and Staines are on the Middlesex bank of the Thames, and hence can't possibly belong to Surrey?

I think so. You always hear of the "Middlesex bank" and "Surrey bank" in reference to the Boat Race, the Middlesex bank being north of the river. The schools in the area come under Surrey County Council and Staines police station is run by Surrey Police so I guess we're getting there slowly but surely. : )

There is actually a very small part of Staines on the Surrey side of the river. The Hythe, which is the area bordered by Staines Bridge, the A320 and the railway line.
(link to Google Maps)

I like it because you can look at it from the Middlesex bank and imagine you're somewhere nice...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next