View previous topic | View next topic

Horses

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Ion Zone
580804.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote

To start with, lets see how many parts you know the name of.

[img]http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Conformation/BodyParts.htm[/img]

Points of the horse answers

And hoof

Hoof Answers (Second Link)

You can also do it for the saddle if you want:

Saddle answers

Extra points for anyone who can tell me the name of what common (and quite large) part of the bridle is unnecessary on most horses, or the name of the object that keeps the English saddle ridged, or name a part or bone that is not labled on the above diagrams.

Some disputable facts to finish:

A horse's foot is actually a single toe, horses have dewclaws much like a dog, but they are inside their leg.

The horse's hoof is held on entirely by friction between interlocking fins of cartilage.

Horses are thought to have approximately the intelligence of a five-year-old human.

Horses in the wild have an average lifespan of about 12-18 years, but pet horses normally live into their mid-thirties with some, normally ponies, living to about forty five. The oldest horse alive today is Copper at about fifty (Unless you can find an older one) But the oldest recorded is 'Old Billy' who, according to legend, lived until he was sixty two

Horses are highly resistant to heart diseases and do not, normally, get high blood pressure. Link

maiden
580844.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote

Horses ... as lovely as they can be ... are also nasty beasts at the same time.
(You can get 'stood on' and get bitten ... much the same as many other animals out there then LOL)

:)

Ion Zone
580938.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Quite a few can pick you up with their mouths, and most steel toe-caps just don't work as all the weight of the hoof goes streight for the bit by your little toe.

IronMonkey
580951.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote

All my siblings are into horses but i hate them. They have nasty habits, most of family have been injured by them. They are beautiful beasts from a distanxce i'll give that

Ion Zone
580971.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote

They don't really know their own strength, but are usually very gentle. You have to keep away from the misstreated ones unless you know what you are doing.

Flash
581026.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote

What colour is this horse?

maiden
581028.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Are these the gray horses that look white, but really aren't white, cause they are gray?

lol

:)

Flash
581035.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Klaxon, I think

That horse is white, not gray (it has pink skin, so it was born white rather than being born dark and turning white, which is what happens with "gray" horses - which is to say, with nearly all white-looking horses).

Can I ask, for test purposes, how the the rest of you would have responded to that question if it had been put to you on the show?

Last edited by Flash on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

maiden
581039.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Klaxon ... you think!!!

LOL

maiden
581040.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote

So not an Arabian horse either then?

Flash
581041.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote

maiden wrote:
Klaxon ... you think!!!

"I think" because your reply was equivocal - so I couldn't tell for sure what answer you were offering.

Ion Zone
581055.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What colour is this horse?

Albino, but I think that if a horse is white, you can't really call them grey. I know a horse caled Albino, he is very white, but isn't actualy a real albino.

I really would love to have a horse like this, if I had the space (And money):

Beautiful. :}

Though this one here is one of those horses that just looks like they had a terrible accident in a paint factory:

Looks even stranger with a saddle:

Flash
581067.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote

The horse in the picture I posted isn't an albino, though - it has brown eyes. And horsey people do in fact distinguish whites from grays in the technical sense - ie they never refer to a horse with dark skin and white hair as "white", however white it appears - in my experience, anyway.

Davini994
581074.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Bronze?

I'd have had no idea tbh. It does look quite albino-ey now it's been pointed out to me.

maiden
581369.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote

maiden wrote:
So not an Arabian horse either then?

so not an 'Arabian' horse then flash?

erm, next guess ... a Sabino White? (sp??)

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next