View previous topic | View next topic

Hungary

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Sadurian Mike
634866.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Thank you. My stress levels were increasing and I can relax again now.

(now then, about those nipples...).

BFG
638827.  Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Is there any truth to the story i once heard that the English word "coach" comes from the Hungarian? More specifically it is apparently derived from the name of a Hungarian city where coaches were built.

suze
638858.  Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Yes, that is entirely correct.

The word "coach" comes to us from the Hungarian placename Kocs (which is pronounced "coach", more or less), where they started making coaches in the fifteenth century. In those days, they clearly didn't make anything like the Greyhound bus of today - think of the sort of coach the Queen travels in, and you'll get the idea.

The word for a person who trains a sports team is from the same source. Before it was applied to sports teams it applied to tutors at Oxford University - one's coach was the person who (metaphorically) carried one through the examinations.

AlmondFacialBar
638860.  Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote

BFG wrote:
Is there any truth to the story i once heard that the English word "coach" comes from the Hungarian? More specifically it is apparently derived from the name of a Hungarian city where coaches were built.

that would presumably be the same etymology as for the german word "kutsche", a kind of horse-drawn carriage. according to wiki and an etymology book i read may many years ago the word does indeed come from the hungarian "kocsi", as in "made in kocs", the town where the first of these carriages were made.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
638861.  Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote

*snigger*

"kocsi".

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2