View previous topic | View next topic

Hyperreality

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

zomgmouse
581130.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Yes, but for some strange reason many parts of reality are now considered objective, simply for the reason that so many people experience the same subjective reality. If not the same, then marginally different.

Of course our brains interpret everything, but we have to draw the line somewhere. I think it becomes actually subjective when your version of reality differs to a substantial extent from the consensual reality.

mckeonj
581198.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote

If I kick the lamp-post which I see before me, and hurt my foot, then the lamp-post is real.

ColinM
581229.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote

The hyperreal numbers include all the real numbers plus infinite and infinitesimal ones. They are used in non-standard analysis.

zomgmouse
581239.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
If I kick the lamp-post which I see before me, and hurt my foot, then the lamp-post is real.

Some will argue that the sensation of pain is only subjective.

Then again, if you're in pain then subjectivity is probably not the first thing on your mind.

gruff5
581246.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
All human reality is removed from actual reality. The concept of normality is the basis of an interpretive inner world we hold up like a filter against everything outside of ourselves, defined by our own narrow depth of interpretation and vision, condensed into a construct that, in relation to the real world, is no more substantial than a dream.

There are as many realities as there are living creatures.

I like that.

I think I am somewhere further along the spectrum of manic-depression than the average person. The depression part is too undreamlike; almost like the narrow reality of life hits you between the eyes. The mania part is ultra-dreamlike; my interpretation and vision widens out enormously, as if I can access a world beyond the usual five senses, but don't have the superhuman cognition to correctly process the info.

TheSurreal
581253.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote

By the logic being presented here, couldn't one argue that everything in our so called reality falls under the "truth by consensus" label? Seeing as the only living being that can corroborate anything you see, hear and feel is another human.

As for the hyper-reality thing, it seems, so far, that people are just discussing edited television shows. Of course things are tempered for our experience, but it's ok so long as we aware of this fact. I don't see why any of this should be branded with such a sensationalist term as "HYPER-REALITY" though.

Ameena
581303.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote

It's been bugging me for ages (years, that is), and I just tried looking it up but I'm not really any the wiser as I didn't really understand the explanation, but what are "objectivity" and "subjectivity"? I understand it's something to do with looking at things in different ways, or something, but any explanation I've seen just makes it sound that little bit too complicated for me to grasp what these words actually mean.

zomgmouse
581311.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote

Objectivity: what is generally considered an established truth.
Subjectivity: any deviation from objectivity.

However, there can also be this explanation:

Objectivity = reality.
Subjectivity = personal perception.

Ameena
581316.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote

Aha, right, thank you - now why couldn't the definitions I looked up me phrased that simply? Nice one :).

zomgmouse
581322.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote

Keep in mind (ha!) that these definitions are.. well, disputable, as you've seen with the subj. vs. obj. debates.

Davini994
581384.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote

I'd dispute the first bit of that zomg.

Objective: based on the thing under discussion. Independent of the observer, based on independent truth only.
Subjective: based more on who is evaluating the thing

So if something is subjective it's important who is doing the evaluating: how you view things colour your opinions. Whether "football is good" is very subjective. Whether a football is round is less so.

If someone says "If you look at it objectively you'll agree with me" what they mean is that they think you are letting emotions get in the way of the evaluation. e.g. a Hull City fan might think that their best player Giovanni is better than say Elano. But if that fan is careful to take their bias out of the situation and looks at it objectively, then it's clear that he isn't.

Ion Zone
581606.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
mckeonj wrote:

Some will argue that the sensation of pain is only subjective.

Pain has been proven to vary from person to person. There was a man on the TV years ago who ate a kilo of metal a day, he doesn't feel pain as much as us and would probably not notice the lamp-post.

Davini994
581640.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote

That's because he would be dead, if he ate a kilo of metal a day.

Bondee
581660.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

He'd definitely notice the lamp post when he came to crap it out!

Posital
581665.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:

I know that one - it's Peter's Podial Projectile Posit.
"I kick it, it exists"

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next