View previous topic | View next topic

The QI Independent Restaurant Guide

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

filofax
708035.  Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote

and if any QIers ever find themselves in Rome, drop me a line because my boyfriend's restaurant will be opening at the end of May. I can guarantee that he's a very, very good cook (hence the 5kg that I have gained since I started seeing him a couple of years ago).

Neotenic
712989.  Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote

I've spent this evening at a particularly splendid Indian just on the outskirts of The City called Cafe Spice Namaste, and it was thoroughly delicious.

And faintly unusual too - my main course tonight was an Ostrich Bhuna. That was a first for me. And definitely one that was worth the experiment.

Arcane
737466.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote

I'd recommend Marco Polo if you're ever in Brisbane; I had beef cheeks there for the first time several years ago, and my mouth still waters on recollection! It was the most expensive meal I've ever eaten, but the quality was superb. We did have a very good bottle of New Zealand sauvignon blanc also which ended up being a quarter of the bill! A wild game consomme, breads, terrine and handmade chocolates and coffee were included as part of the meal - a big surprise and silly us ordered entree, main and dessert. I full on waddled out of there, but sighed heartily in satisfaction. Attentive service, beautiful surrounds, excellent quality produce and beautifully done. Easily the best meal of my life.

Auckland has pretty much good food wherever you go; the V Grill in the Viaduct area I found to be excellent quality for the food and location (Right on the harbour), there's also Wildfire nearby that does churrasco and excellent Caipirinha - couldn't do it justice unfortunately! One of those places you walk away from being very satisfied if you're a serious carnivore. The Orbit Revolving restaurant in the Sky Tower had quite a good early bird special when we went there, however, if you don't like heights... xD

(Unfortunately, I found most of the restaurants in Sydney overpriced and overrated - my ex husband went to the good ones courtesy of work and I never got to go to them).

Jenny
737723.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Woodsman took me to a fabulous restaurant in Portland called Fore Street for our anniversary - he knew I'd been wanting to go there and surprised me with a booking. It can be googled...

AlmondFacialBar
793880.  Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote

I went to this place with my friend the other day:

http://www.vantra.co.uk/

It's in Soho Street, we just decided it looked nice and dropped in. Weren't disappointed either. It's affordable (indeed astonishingly good value by any standard) and serves just about the nicest vegan food I've ever eaten. They also have lovely organic beers and seriously good shakes, mmmmm! :-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Gooische Vrijgezel
863026.  Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote

I like to order my food online, please skip the rest of the (cold) meal. The best horse sausage according to butchers, i.e. technical perfection and using spices in order to win the contest. Their English website is ... unfinished.

Same, cold meal, the best sausage according to butchers but without using excessive spices and (offline shop).

If the meal has to be hot (sliced, about 2 minutes in the microwave oven), I'ld recommend another shop, albeit their technical quality varies. But it's mainly about the liquids, not about the meat itself. Where's Michelin when you need 'em? An alternative (hot) in the same area is Klein, or Super Bokma.

Slightly interesting fact: it's hard to find good, controversial horse meat in the Netherlands outside North-Holland and Utrecht, if you can get it at all.

AlmondFacialBar
887166.  Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote

That's because a horse is a noble, beautiful animal that shouldn't be eaten. Eating cows frees them from having to see their ugly reflections in the water hole every morning. Eating horses is just wrong. (paraphrased from Col. Sherman T. Potter, 4077th MASH) He's right, y'know... ;-) I've heard horse meat is tasty, but I'm not sure what it would actually take for me to put that to the test.

(And yes, I know that in purely ethical terms there is no difference between eating a pig (YUM!) and eating a kitten (eek!). It's just that in my personal, culturally consituted world, cattle are unprocessed steaks and horses are companion animals, and I happen to like it that way.)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
887334.  Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote

I've eaten horse meat in France - doesn't taste much different to beef, tbh.

Theblazeuk
893583.  Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote

If anyone is ever in Portsmouth I can recommend a really nice little restaurant called Kitsch n'Dor. French-influenced cooking by a very small team of chefs and a lovely waitress, does a day-time lunch deal of 2 courses for a tenner and the portions are perfectly sized for a satisfying meal (and very high quality).

Haven't been for a year or so though so I hope it's still going!

Leith
1003087.  Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote

The Rosemary Restaurant at the Stanton House Hotel in Stanton Fitzwarren (just outside Swindon). It serves the nearby Honda factory and does an excellent Japanese buffet at lunchtime.

I particularly enjoy discovering unusual dishes that I've not tried before, and my first visit a few years back yielded a fine selection of exotic-looking foodstuffs, many of which I couldn't even identify. Today's visit found a more recognisable, but no less tasty, array of dishes. All very pleasant indeed.

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4