Beales Fish & Chips, Eastern Promenade, Porthcawl, 788223

Posital
643514.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Are there any recommended kebab shops?

Spud McLaren
643515.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
Spud McLaren wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before; I don't have enough time to read the back numbers, much as I'd like to.

Does anyone know if the Hare Krishna Indian vegetarian restaurant on the edge of Soho was able to transfer somewhere else? I only ate there once and it was easily the best Indian food I've ever had, but a friend resident in London tells me it disappeared under new development some time ago (hope the staff got out).

Was it free (or optional donation)? If so then it was probably part of the Hare Krishna Food for Life program, they do both disaster relief (in recent years they've catered for survivors of hurricanes in the USA, cyclones and floods in Bangladesh, earthquakes in Pakistan and so on) and they work in various cities setting up what are effectively soup kitchens for anyone who wants it.

No - but very reasonable. Despite the name it had nothing to do with the Hare Krishna movement. It used to appear in "Where to Eat if You Don't Eat Meat", a handy book for us non-carnivores, but since I've lost my copy (very much out of date anyway), I don't know which street it was on.

ecuhct
667887.  Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Ooh, I just realised I can get the TasteLondon card for 50 because of my work links... and 3 month's free membership to the Gourmet club card, why didn't anyone tell me???

Num, num, num, num....

CB27 have you ever heard about online vouchers http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/discountsdeals/restaurants/0? for example

or the 1eat club http://1eat.co.uk
this way you either pay no money for the discounts or only 10 per year.

Let me know if it was useful

ecuhct
667889.  Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:

Great Kebab place: Maroush in Edgware road.

Zebra57
671648.  Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote

If you visit Birmingham the "Balti Triangle" in Sparkbrook is definitely worth a visit. The Ladypool Road Area has many fine restaurants to chose from.

Jenny
671968.  Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote

If you're in Boston, an Italian restaurant called Bricco on Hanover Street in the South Side is totally excellent. We had a wonderful meal there on Sunday night. Not cheap by American standards, but would be a familiar price level to most people who ever eat out in London at anything better than a Harvester.

Neotenic
671997.  Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote

<takes note for June>

Izzardesque
672394.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote

In Adelaide, I can recommend the Birdies Restaurant at the Tap Inn. Although I hate restaurants that do lots of mini dishes and call it tapas, I went there for my birthday and the food was excellent.

And if you're of a mind, you can also go and smack a few balls around at the attached indoor driving range!!

Izzardesque
672403.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote

I also recommend the Pizzeria Rustica in Richmond, Surrey. Very nice.

Starfish13
674009.  Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:

Not a shop, but Altay is the kebab van in the market place in Thame, just opposite the Nag's Head, and it is excellent. It has a charcoal grill and a big tv to watch wile you wait, and is always busy. The chicken is my usual choice but the shish is also very good.

Jenny
674262.  Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Neo - if you like Indian food, there is also a good Indian restaurant called Diva just down the road from the Somerville Theatre. Turn right out of the T station, past the theatre, keep on the same pavement and keep going a couple of blocks.

Neotenic
687700.  Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote

One for the carnivores, this - Rodizio Rico in Angel.

You know that faintly uncomfortable, yet oddly pleasant feeling of being a bit over-full you can get immediately after eating a hearty meal? I'm still feeling it ten hours after I finally put down my knife and fork.

The tables in the restaurant are arranged around a big salad bar from which diners help themselves. I say salad bar, but it also has things like lasagne and chicken wings for you to eagerly spoon on to your plate.

But one is wise to not get too carried away, as the main event is a constant procession of waiters moving from table to table carrying massive skewers of exquistely cooked meats to carve off directly onto your plate - until you turn the little green card you are also given over to red, indicating that you've had enough.

I had at least three different cuts of beef as well as pork, ham, lamb, ribs, chicken in bacon and chicken hearts - all for under 25.00. Wow.

Vegemetarians can get themselves unfettered access to the salad bar for about 15, but it's probably not a place for the militant veggie. But for anyone who likes good meat, in vast quantities, you really can't go wrong.

I'm going to spend as much time as possible today sitting very still indeed.

Izzardesque
688265.  Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote

That sounds pretty awesome Neo! I'll be maknig a note of that one.

Jenny
701199.  Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote

If any QIers ever find themselves in Florence, do try out a trattoria called Enzo e Piero in Via Faenza - it was only a hundred yards from our hotel and it was so good we went there three times in a four night stay (didn't discover it until the second night!) The food is basically good Italian home cooking rather than anything poncy and touristy, but they source really good local ingredients and cook everything very simply but very well.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next