View previous topic | View next topic

The QI Independent Restaurant Guide

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Neotenic
580145.  Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote

Of courtse, the way to assuage this rampant jealousy would be to take us out for dinner.

;-)

Neotenic
611582.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote

I'm just going to resurrect this thread to mention a little Vietnamese restaurant just off Oxford Street called Pho.

I'd not had Vietnamese before, but on this showing I guess it's pretty much a variation on Thai - noodles, soup, noodle soup or curry. The food tonight was pleasant enough and certainly edible, but not astounding.

That may not sound like much of a ringing endorsement, but a relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff also helped the experience to be positive overall, and it's somewhere I'd be happy to revisit.

The real jewel in the crown, however, is that they serve 'Weasel coffee' - or, to be more technically correct, coffee made from beans that have passed through a Civet.

So I can now say that I've drunk coffee made from poo. And it was bloody lovely. Strong, richly flavourful and worth stopping off in the restaurant for a quick drink on it's own (which is what at least one table of people seemed to do tonight).

QiScorpion
611694.  Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote

If you're ever in the vicinity of Harrods, there is a lovely little Italian restaurant called "Zia Theresa" and its food is gorgeous (my love of Italian food notwithstanding). It's a fairly small restaurant, but it is lovely if you like Italian food. However, you've a trek round the outside of Harrods on your hands because I can't remember for the life of me which side of Harrods it's on - it is not on the main road side, I know that. :P

suze
611698.  Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote

It's on Hans Road. From Knightsbridge station, turn left at the far end of the store.

QiScorpion
611923.  Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Thank you suze :)

If you're inclined to go there, it is a lovely restaurant- it's got a very home-y feel and the food is gorgeous.
I give it 10/10. :)

bemahan
611925.  Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote

The Pizza Town restaurant in St Ives, Cambridgeshire.

Peregrine Arkwright
613197.  Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote

Nowadays I cheerfully give most of London's innumerable Chinese restaurants a very wide berth, but one of the few well worth trying is the Yun Hai in Rotherhithe Street SE 16. The trick, according to the chief waiter, is that they have had the same chef for about 20 years. You can also park outside.

Given that Rotherhithe Street is, apparently, the longest street in London having the same name all along, it's perhaps worth noting the Yun Hai is toward the upriver end.

I would once have also recommended a nearby, modern riverside pub. But since it stopped being the Spice Island and turned into something else it has lost the plot. Sadly the same goes for Jamie's wine bar/restaurant on the opposite bank of the river.

Peregrine Arkwright

Bondee
613474.  Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote

http://www.arnsidechipshop.co.uk/

Best haddock and chips I've ever eaten!

Jenny
613773.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote

If any of you happen to be in the vicinity of Portland, Maine, there is an excellent article in today's New York Times about our fantastic variety of restaurants here. I have heard it said that we have both the largest number of restaurants per capita in Portland, and also the largest number of lawyers per capita, but I am not sure whether there is actually a connection between those two things.

Izzardesque
617194.  Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote

Matlock Bath Balti House. Awesome stuff.

Spud McLaren
634745.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered before; I don't have enough time to read the back numbers, much as I'd like to.

Does anyone know if the Hare Krishna Indian vegetarian restaurant on the edge of Soho was able to transfer somewhere else? I only ate there once and it was easily the best Indian food I've ever had, but a friend resident in London tells me it disappeared under new development some time ago (hope the staff got out).

Neotenic
634937.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:48 am Reply with quote

I've never heard of the Hare Krishna myself - but I am aware of a couple of supposedly good veggie indian places on Drummond St - and calling that on the edge of Soho would be pushing the definition somewhat, but it's still within walking distance.

I have been to a couple of other places of note recents - a very good Chinese (which seem to be few and far between these days) with the faintly concerning name of New Culture Revolution. They make all their noodles on-site daily, and you can get an enormous bowl of very tasty and not very greasy chow mein for a very reasonable price.

The second place is a rather more upmarket Italian called Va Bene in Soho - it should probably be noted that this is an Italian that doesn't serve pizza. But I had an exceptionally well-prepared fillet steak, and Mrs T had a lasagne as good any we've eaten. Lovely coffee, too. An ideal place for a bite before going to the theatre, as it's just round the corner from Shaftesbury Avenue. We rolled into our seats to watch Dylan Moran feeling pleasantly stuffed.

stee
634956.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote

In the Newcastle area I would definitely recommend:

Italian: Mamma Mia's on Pudding Chare - lovely little family run place, first place DaddyStee Sr. had pizza (back in the mists of time) so holds a special place in the family's hearts...

Indian: Rupali on Bigg Market, purely for the Curry Hell challenge!

Tapas: El Coto - very close to St James, very good food and quite cheap

English: Cafe 21 on Pandon Bankside - Terry Laybourne's restaurant, I can only eat here when i've been a VERY good boy - not that expensive, just a bit posh!

For curry in Leeds (where DaddyStee Sr. now lives), the best is Kebabeesh, plus its about 2 minutes walk from his house!!

As you can possibly tell, Stee likes his food!!!

Moosh
643467.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before; I don't have enough time to read the back numbers, much as I'd like to.

Does anyone know if the Hare Krishna Indian vegetarian restaurant on the edge of Soho was able to transfer somewhere else? I only ate there once and it was easily the best Indian food I've ever had, but a friend resident in London tells me it disappeared under new development some time ago (hope the staff got out).

Was it free (or optional donation)? If so then it was probably part of the Hare Krishna Food for Life program, they do both disaster relief (in recent years they've catered for survivors of hurricanes in the USA, cyclones and floods in Bangladesh, earthquakes in Pakistan and so on) and they work in various cities setting up what are effectively soup kitchens for anyone who wants it.

tetsabb
643493.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote

If in the neighbourhood of Tunbridge Wells, I can recommend the Himalaya Gurkha, about 10 mins uphill from the station.
Some of the best onion bhajis (can't remember the Nepalese name) I have ever had.

Those Gurkhas are ever so good at kukri

Ba doom- tisch.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next