View previous topic | View next topic

hell

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Hydra-Lernae
585848.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I think theres a goddess called Hel, quite a dark figure.

Indeed there is: Hel, goddess of the underworld and its queen in Norse mythology. Half of her body is a beautiful woman, the other half a rotting corpse. Actually not quite a goddess, meaning Aesir, but a giantess. Daughter of Loki and Angrboda.

Interestingly, Hel also was the name of the underworld itself (cf. "Hades" in Greek mythology). The word probably has roots in Old Germanic *haljτ, meaning underworld or world of the dead. The mythological Hel, i.e. her name, was the root for English "hell" as well as German "Hφlle" and probably for the names for hell in other germanic languages as well.

Gyndawyr
585884.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote

I didnt know that much about it, thankyou Hydra :)
But Ive previously heard that "Hell" is the term for pit, or burial, in old hebrew and that the original meaning was twisted by the evil that is the bibbel.

thegrandwazoo
586110.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote

....is other people.

Sadurian Mike
586115.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote

The Chinese hell is Diyu, a sort of Dante's Inferno-like place with different circles or courts to deal with different crimes and sins.

It is ruled by the ten Yama kings who have a supporting bureaucracy which mirrors that of the earthly courts, and is an amalgam of traditional Chinese and Buddhist thinking where souls are judged and punished in hell but are then reborn on earth, possibly in a shape that ensures further punishment for any bad karma.

Originally there were over 100 different hells, but these were streamlined in the Tang Dynasty into just 18:

Wiki wrote:
Chamber of Wind and Thunder – People who kill and commit heinous crimes out of greed are sent here for punishment.

Chamber of Grinding – Wealthy men who do no good and waste food are ground into powder in this chamber.

Chamber of Flames – People who steal, plunder, rob and cheat are sent here to be burnt.

Chamber of Ice – Children who ill-treat their parents and elders are sent here to be frozen in ice.

Chamber of Oil Cauldrons – Sex offenders such as rapists, lechers, adulterers are fried in oil in this chamber.

Chamber of Dismemberment by Sawing – Kidnappers and people who force good women into prostitution suffer the fate of being sawn in this chamber.

Chamber of Dismemberment by Chariot – Corrupt officials and landlords who oppress and exploit the people are dismembered by a chariot in this chamber.

Chamber of Mountain of Knives – People who cheat customers by earning more than they should, profiteers who jack up prices and cheat on the quality of goods are made to shed blood by climbing the mountain of knives.

Chamber of Tongue Ripping – Gossips who stir trouble and liars suffer the fate of having their tongues ripped out in this chamber.
Chamber of Pounding – Cold-blooded murderers are pounded in this chamber.

Chamber of Torso-severing – Scheming and ungrateful men have their torsos severed in this chamber.

Chamber of Scales – Crooks who oppress the innocent, people who cheat on the quality of goods and daughters-in-law who ill-treat their in-laws have hooks pierced into their body and hung upside down.

Chamber of Eye-gouging – Peeping toms who go around peeking and leering have their eyeballs gouged out in this chamber.

Chamber of Heart-digging – People with evil hearts have theirs dug out in this chamber.

Chamber of Disembowelment – Instigators, hypocrites and tomb-robbers have their bowels dug out in this chamber.

Chamber of Blood – Blasphemous crooks who show no respect to the gods suffer the fate of being skinned in this chamber.

Chamber of Maggots – Crooks who use loopholes in the law to cheat and engage in malpractice are being eaten alive by maggots in this chamber.

Chamber of Avici – Crooks who have committed heinous crimes, brought misery to the people and betrayed the ruler are placed on a platform above an inferno. The unlucky ones fall off the platform into the inferno and burn while the lucky ones remain on the platform. These spirits are never to be reincarnated.

As can be seen, the Chinese were not so much into rehabilitation as extreme punishment! It is also interesting to note crimes listed that we might not consider deserving of harsh punishment; these form a very useful tool to decipher the real earthly Chinese mindset during the Tang Dynasty.

Gyndawyr
586129.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Chamber of Sex - People who unecessarily avoided confrontation or lied at some point in their lives go here to have sex as punishment.
Everybody goes there.
No one ever returns...
whuuoooooo...

EDIT: Ive only ever known maggots to eat dead material???

Sadurian Mike
586131.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Gyndawyr wrote:

It's hell. One presumes that the souls are of dead people.

Of course, as they are magical supernatural maggots I don't think that the Chinese really worried too much about their real eating habits.

Gyndawyr
586134.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Indeed, I mean they eat dogs, whales, and harmless children...
Also they have an extra thumb behind their left ears :)

thegrandwazoo
586136.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Maggots do eat living flesh as anybody who has seen a "mawked" sheep will tell you. Very unpleasant it is too.

Gyndawyr
586139.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote

I dont know what one of those is, but my guess is theyre eating the dead material on/in the living sheep. Though Im wondering how many other topics you will be able to bring it up in :)

Sadurian Mike
586140.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Absolutely. They prefer dead flesh but some species will carry on eating live flesh if the dead stuff runs out....

This is not something that is commonly mentioned when medical maggots are emplyed.

Sadurian Mike
586141.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Gyndawyr wrote:
I dont know what one of those is, but my guess is theyre eating the dead material on/in the living sheep. Though Im wondering how many other topics you will be able to bring it up in :)

Mawked sheep just means a sheep infested with maggots. The flies (usually blowflies or bluebottles) lay eggs on wounds or the dirty, scabby, bit of skin under the fleece, and the maggots start by eating the dead stuff. Once that's run out, though, they will carry on into the live tissue.

Gyndawyr
586143.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Well I wouldnt worry about the maggots eating more than the shit out of my leg, id be bothered more by the doctor leaving me while the maggots feast on what was once one of my limbs.
Might wanna check its not bleeding everywhere once in a while -_-

Also they say "these are special laboratory maggots" ...that have a taste for human flesh :)

I never caught that episode of shaun the sheep :(

IronMonkey
586193.  Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Absolutely. They prefer dead flesh but some species will carry on eating live flesh if the dead stuff runs out....

This is not something that is commonly mentioned when medical maggots are emplyed.

A Day At Medical Maggot School

'Ok now where is the heart'
'I don't know'
'You filthly maggot drop and give me 500 wiggles'

Ion Zone
586518.  Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh they do, if you get a cut in the Amazon or a large wound in Africa, cover it up.

samivel
586622.  Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure where my Amazon even is, but I'll be careful not to get a cut in it.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next