Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

gameche13
579247.  Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote

horoscopes

Posital
586558.  Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Wiki wrote:
In astrology, a horoscope is a chart or diagram representing the positions of the Sun, Moon, planets, the astrological aspects, and sensitive angles at the time of an event, such as the moment of a person's birth. The word horoscope is derived from Greek words meaning "a look at the hours" (horoskopos, pl. horoskopoi, or "marker(s) of the hour.")

They're a great way of seeing yourself from another perspective - not much more.

graytart
586755.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote

Horoscopes are written entirely in generalities and thus can loosely apply to anyone. The idea that the stars know or care who we are as individuals is simply ludicrous self-importance.

My favourite take on the subject is from Flanders and Swann:

Jupiter's passed through Orion,
And come into conjunction with Mars.
Saturn is wheeling through infinite space,
To its pre-ordained place in the stars.

And I gaze at the planets in wonder,
At the trouble and time they expend.
All to warn me to be careful,
In dealings involving a friend!

Starfish13
586769.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote

We are stardust, we are golden
We are billion-year-old carbon
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden

Horoscopes are a load of rubbish, but then I would say that, I'm a virgo.

costean
586936.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote

Speaking as a Gemini I would have to accept that they are a load of old Castors. That's what mine said today and it is usually right.

Ion Zone
586989.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Someone I know once told me (in a lecture) that horoscopes are a limited way of interpreting something magnificent and beautiful, dragging them down to our level.

exnihilo
587066.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't have said so, explaining the stars as constellations, characters in myths and legends, might be considered as such.

Horoscopes, on the other hand, represent the most staggering anthropocentrism, that hundreds of incandescent globes arrayed hundreds of lightyears away for billions of years exist to do little more than determine the actions of humans. Pah.

Ion Zone
587089.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't have said so, explaining the stars as constellations, characters in myths and legends, might be considered as such.

Oh yes, I can agree with that. Every constellation needs a legend or a myth, it's the boring every-day "Today you will have good news!" he was talking about. Where is the dark and distant wonder of little bright pearls in the lonely night?

suze
587104.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote

As it happens, today (Monday) has been my birthday. Here's one I just found via Google for "if it's your birthday today". The writer is one Marjorie Orr.

"Your year ahead will be lively, energetic and outgoing at times and rather withdrawn at others. You will want a chance to ponder over important personal issues. You'll need to tackle joint finances. If you don't take control then it won't happen."

In other words, it will be fun at times, but I'll feel a bit shit at times too. I'll have a row with my husband at some point. My husband and I will talk about money at some point. Something or other will happen because I make it happen.

Not like every other year, then?

Posital
587105.  Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Horoscopes, on the other hand, represent the most staggering anthropocentrism, that hundreds of incandescent globes arrayed hundreds of lightyears away for billions of years exist to do little more than determine the actions of humans. Pah.

Well - It sounds more plausible (to me) to say that the month that you were born in can affect the way you develop.

So at a time when you'd be able to learn to walk - you're locked inside in winter with all these chairs and things to help you along. Or if one of the first things you train your eyesight on are meadow flowers... does it make more sense?

I've not seen anything to show me it's not complete bunkum - but in a way find it strange that people born at different times of the year don't show more consistent, measurable differences in early development at least across the population.

Starfish13
587319.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote

I was looking at Chinese horoscopes, which are based on the year you are born having the characteristics of an animal and one of the traditional Chinese elements. I'm a metal monkey and my esteemed colleague at the other side of the desk is a wood tiger (but no good at golf).

It struck me that these, and the Western interpretation of horoscopes, may have some bearing for the same basis as Posital suggests. The combination of the year that you are born, the season, plus the location in the world where you live, means that you are exposed to certain events and opportunities over the course of your life, which may have a shape on your character and the choices that you make.

I read a review of Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, which basically says the same kind of thing, but with out the starshine mumbo jumbo. For e.g. he says most Canadian pro-hockey players are born in Jan or Feb, so when the season starts they are the biggest and most atlhletic in thier class, and more likely to get extra coaching.

Gyndawyr
587331.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote

Interesting theory starfish, though the metabolic rate of these children will probably be different, or rather the rate at which they grow. Some people grow quickly in early life, and some people remain short, etc. I suppose a team based locally could be "genetically local" also but I dont know enough about it to suggest things like that :/

Seasonal factors rarely affect a childs development, I would place more emphasis on the parenting; in that a child when "locked away inside" for the winter could still proficiently learn motor skills indoors, unless the parent is too lazy to play with their kids inside, or arent to blame and actually unable to :)

Interestingly I believe children should be exposed to a variety of thought provoking material which exercises different parts of the brain at an early age. While I believe being able to count and read are essential, I must not neglect other activities; music, art, nature, social interaction, which will enable growth in other parts of the brain.

EDIT: Hopefully this mentality will lead me to be a successful father.

soup
587346.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
I was looking at Chinese horoscopes, which are based on the year you are born having the characteristics of an animal and one of the traditional Chinese elements. I'm a metal monkey and my esteemed colleague at the other side of the desk is a wood tiger (but no good at golf).

Oh as I'm a water tiger I tend not to believe in horoscopes.

Posital
587348.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
...my esteemed colleague at the other side of the desk is a wood tiger (but no good at golf).
lol - I'm a wood dragon... burn me! Or not...

Starfish13
587375.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote

Other colleague is a fire snake, which I suggested makes him sound rather virile. He seems rather pleased with that.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next