View previous topic | View next topic

Hundred Years’ War

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Susannah Dingley
585366.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote

Today is the 556th anniversary of the Battle of Castillon.

This was the battle in which, on 17 July 1453, the English were soundly defeated by the French – who, with this decisive victory, also won the entire Hundred Years’ War.

Posital
585373.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote

I dunno - I think there' a bit of complexity in there you've skipped over.

GL5
585551.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote

What is one French military victory compared with a Google-ful of French military defeats, anyway.

Sadurian Mike
585572.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
who, with this decisive victory, also won the entire Hundred Years’ War.

Curious Danny
585574.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Do we get points if we mention that the hundered's years war actually lasted for 116 years and was more sporadic fighting than a full blown war?

Susannah Dingley
585604.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote

I understand. The Battle of Castillon is something English people would rather not talk about. I merely brought this up to see what sort of reaction it might provoke.

Last edited by Susannah Dingley on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Posital
585613.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Oh - trolling - now I understand.

PS: Danny - you get your points and a double bonus rollover...

PPS: Were your referring to the first or second hundred years war?

Sadurian Mike
585649.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
I understand. The Hundred Years’ War is something English people would rather not talk about.

No, we never mention Agincourt or Crécy, or the Black Prince in the UK. Henry V and the whole "St Crispins day" speech is practically unknown.

Susannah Dingley wrote:
I merely brought this up to see what sort of reaction it might provoke.

That's a shame, because it might have been interesting had you not started out by being deliberately provocative.

Susannah Dingley
585688.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Oh - trolling - now I understand.

Sadurian Mike wrote:
That's a shame, because it might have been interesting had you not started out by being deliberately provocative.

I find it ironic that those who recently claimed that I had no sense of humour in another thread should be the very ones who don’t have it in this thread.

The fact that I myself am English just makes it even more so.

Sadurian Mike wrote:
No, we never mention Agincourt or Crécy, or the Black Prince in the UK. Henry V and the whole "St Crispins day" speech is practically unknown.

More to the point, we hardly mention Joan of Arc and never talk about the Battle of Castillon. I wonder why.

Look. Againcourt and all the rest of that shit are measly isolated events in the War having no significant bearing whatsoever on the course of history. The work of Jean of Arc and the Battle of Castillon are events that truly altered the course of history in a signifcant way.

Last edited by Susannah Dingley on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:50 am; edited 5 times in total

Gyndawyr
585689.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Being English, or at least somebody who's not French, I am obliged to hate them by whatever means are legal in this country. Despite this Im 25% French genetically, and I do tire of putting so much effort into hating them sometimes :) But I cant see any significance to this thread, nobodies gonna feel any french pride XD

If you want to mock the English, use the song Flower of Scotland, cause the way its mocking us I find quite awesome :)

Note: Bring up my genetics into the wrong conversation and I assure you, that you shall regret it :)
really

Sadurian Mike
585712.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

If anyone wants to continue this thread in a sensible manner, I'm happy to oblige.

Posital
585713.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Ooo - ironic trolling - this I must see...

Gyndawyr
585717.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years%27_War

I found the majority of it quite boring, dwelling on technical governmental detail rather than battle tactics or leadership.
The reason for this it seems is because it was a series of small "wars" that was later coined the 100 years war by historians.

The only interesting information I really gained from this was information on the british longbow; how it required great training and strength to use in comparison to militia crossbows of the time, and through them superiority in battle could be gained. Through increased casualties and lack of troops trained in using the longbow, as well as advancements in armour, military tactics involving the longbow were no longer applicable.

Apparently the 100 years war was the first to involve a battle in which artillery fire helped determine the end result.

The weapons are always the fun bit <3

AnneB
585726.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote

I like a man in armor myself.

Gyndawyr
585729.  Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Yes! *Scores*
I like strong women myself :D
and for the off chance somebody asks; its not gay in denial.
I just think they kick ass.

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next