View previous topic | View next topic

Herring Gulls

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

bemahan
581721.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Don't think that would work. And don't try to tell me you worked for half an hour on:
Quote:
Rumour has it they taste of herrings.

Posital
581723.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Ok ok - so it was a bit spammy... but not purely designed to end your reign of zero!! there's plenty of idiot H threads and even a duplicate hamburger still hanging around...

And deleting the posts would have worked, if it wasn't maiden messing it all up...

Oi Maiden, didn't you know you're on a crime scene??

TheElephant
581725.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote

I used to have one as a pet.

Ahh, Virgilio, where are you now?

maiden
581726.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Apparently so, after reading the 'banter' between you twa ... i'll bow out of this thread now and leave you guys to it.

if you want me to delete my post bemahan, i will, ...just give me a shout

:)

bemahan
581727.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote

To be fair to Maiden, it was a genuine post so I'm actually quite pleased that someone had the heart to make a genuine reply. Ok, so I'm cynical and a saddo.

Posital
581730.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Now see what you've done, Barman.

bemahan
581731.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote

Don't - you'll give Maiden nightmares!

maiden
581732.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Oh don't worry about it ... i see these 'things' day in day out, so i'm used to seeing them that close up too

(they hang around on the window ledges at work and look in at you, and if you don't acknowledge them, they tap on the windows with their beaks ... and can go a bit mental trying the break the glass)

Uuurrgghh ... flying 'pains in the ass'. lol

bemahan
581733.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote

maiden wrote:
(they hang around on the window ledges at work and look in at you, and if you don't acknowledge them, they tap on the windows with their beaks ... and can go a bit mental trying the break the glass)
That sounds quite sweet. (I think I might just be increasing my "saddo" rating with that comment.)

maiden
581735.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Yeah sounds lovely ... up to a point.

Then it does switch to a scene from Hitchcock's 'The Birds' at times and can get quite dangerous. We now put posters up over the windows, so they can't look in on us (which prevents them from trying to break the glass)

NobodyHome
582596.  Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Then it does switch to a scene from Hitchcock's 'The Birds'

And if they're not smashing windows and pecking out your eyes, they're stealing your Doritos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqy9hxhUxK0

bemahan
582621.  Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote

They're great at catching chips in mid-air, if you throw them for them. Couple of tips - don't pause too long between chips and be ready to run when you run out of chips.

Davini994
582676.  Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote

That's a very interesting article Bemahan. Perhaps every city dweller should be issued with a sling and a bag of ball bearings, that would sort them out quick sharp.

Sadurian Mike
582677.  Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote

Gulls were responsible for my ex-'s father's death.

He had a heart condition but was either trying to clean his flat roof (he had a seaside bungalow) by standing on a ladder and sweeping it with a yard brush, or was trying to chase the gulls away from the roof.

Apparently, he was dive-bombed by the gulls (which probably though he was after their nests) and either fell off the ladder and had a heart attack, or had a heart attack and fell off the ladder.

Williamandco.
593597.  Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote

One Quite Interesting thing about Herring Gulls - in the UK, there are two closely related species - Larus fuscus, the lesser black backed gull, and Larus argentatus, the Herring gull. If you go the long way between the two - the whole way around the arctic circle - they can be considered as one species, as each pair of adjacent populations can interbreed, and so genetic flow between the two is theoretically possible. However, go the short way - between the two in the UK, and they are distinct species, as hybridization to produce fertile offspring does not occur between the two species.

I am aware that I really shouldn't know that, and even if I must, I should have the common decency to keep it to myself, but I shan't.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next