Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
585964.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
Does anyone know the name of this woman?

And her address.

That would be pointless seeing as how she is dead.

I bet she left descendants and a diary though.

True, but that still doesn't answer the question of who the woman was. Does anyone know?

Gyndawyr
585969.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote

It doesnt sound like something roman royalty would do :/
They have a weird sense of honour lmao
I think her name was Elizabeth.
You see her on coins and things.

Sadurian Mike
585971.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Gyndawyr wrote:
It doesnt sound like something roman royalty would do :/

Ummm. Oh yes it does.

Have you never heard of Caligula and his mother?

Gyndawyr
585976.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Are you sure I want to Sadurian?? -_-
ohh I looked it up, it was unfruitful :)
I would have assumed the usual roman "everyone is below us" attitude...
but apparently they werent bothered for giving handjobs :)

Ian Dunn
585979.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Gyndawyr wrote:
Are you sure I want to Sadurian?? -_-
ohh I looked it up, it was unfruitful :)
but apparently they werent bothered for giving handjobs :)

Yes. I've tried looking it up on the web, but I can only recall seeing it in the forementioned book. I thought that the elves might have a copy of this quite interesting book and therefore they could find out the answer.

Sadurian Mike
585980.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Sadly an internet search is not possible on that sort of subject because I'm at work....

Sadurian Mike
585981.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Gyndawyr wrote:

You'd be surprised how much power is wielded by a woman (or man) with your penis in their hands.

Gyndawyr
585984.  Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote

What I mean is Im suprised they would concern themselves with any peasantry penis other than members of the senate :)

You would be suprised how much power is wielded by me with my penis in a woman's hands.
(or man's, though thankyou for considering specifically my own orientation Sadurian... -_-)

Ian Dunn
587399.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote

I now know who it was! Thanks to research carried out by Frederick The Monk (cheers!) it appears the woman in question was Valeria Messalina (c. 17/20 48), the third wife of Emperor Claudius. According to Book X of Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia he claims she organised an all-night sex competition with a prostitute.

Quote:
The Empresse Messalina, wife of Claudius Csar, thinking it the onely victorie for a Ladie and Queene to excell in this feat, chose the most gallant curtisan and commonest strumpet in all Rome, to trie masteries and to contend with for the best game: and in verie truth, she woon the prize: for in the space of 24 houres she outwent her [a beastly thing to be written] no fewer than 25 times.

Source

bemahan
587450.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote

Wasn't that included as part of the "I, Claudius" BBC drama with Derek Jacobi? Or am I making that up (it was a long time ago and I was at that age where your mum suddenly says, "Right, time for you to go to bed, I think.")

Droid
587842.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote

From memory, the prostitute gave up crying "She must have insides made of old shoe leather."

Efros
587968.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote

Ah the delectable Shiela White, who went from the sublime "I Claudius" to the ridiculous "Confessions from a Holiday Camp", probably much the same amount of skin just different quality of words to say while displaying it.

Gyndawyr
587994.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote

If I ever finally get a wife Id like to challenge that achievement :D
24 hours?? 25 times?? Bring it on :D

Ian Dunn
599030.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote

For those who have not been following, the Twitter #welovetheNHS campaign is being lead by a comedy writer. Graham Linehan to be exact.

Interview with Linehan with Channel 4 News

Ian Dunn
637624.  Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote

When the SARS outbreak in 2002-03 began in China, the Chinese media did not originally report the story because it did not want to upset the government.

As a result, in one of the earliest examples of what we now refer to as "citizen journalism", people spread the news mainly by SMS, althought they also used the web as well. It was useful because it allowed people to share information quickly.

However, the system did have problems. Some people did send false information. One person set a message saying:

Quote:
"Urgent reminder: the newest channel of SARS transmission is by mobile phone. For your own health, whenever you receive an SMS please leave your phone for one hour in disinfectant be reusing it.

Sources: Article from the Graduate Journal of Asia-Pacific Studies and Janey Gordon's article "The Mobile Phone and the Public Sphere" in Convergence Vol 13, Issue 3, p. 307-319.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next