View previous topic | View next topic

Health

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
577607.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote

The National Health Service is the third largest employer anywhere in the world. The only organisations bigger that the NHS are the Russian army and Indian railways.

Source: Mr Hartston's Most Excellent Encylopedia of Useless Information by William Hartston.

suze
577784.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote

As that claim is usually made, the two larger employers are the Chinese (not Russian) People's Liberation Army, and the Indian Railways.

But in fact it's not true - the NHS has slipped to fourth behind Wal-Mart. Depending quite who you count as working for it, some consider the United States Department of Defense to have more staff too. (And McDonald's, if staff of franchisees are considered to be employees.)

Covered in, among other places, the Daily Telegraph.

Sadurian Mike
577899.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote

I was about to mention that it was the PLA rather than the Russians but I've been beaten to it.

North Korea also has a scary army in terms of percentage of population.

I imagine that it would be tricky to define number of health professionals (and associated admin and support workers) in a country with a national health service, because of sub-contracting and questionable health definitions (alternative medicines and so on).

suze
577917.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Yes indeed, and the Telegraph makes the point that the 1.4 million people said to work "for the NHS" actually have something like five hundred different employers. Quite how the figure of 1.4 million is arrived we are not told; maybe it is all people whose jobs make them eligible for the NHS pension schemes.

So as suggested, the NHS is not really one organization, any more than is the DoD. (The Canadian Forces form one body, but the American version is split up in a comparable way to the British - the army, navy, and so on are separate bodies.)

It seems that the Indian Railways is really seventeen organizations as well, so we are left with the Chinese Army and Wal-Mart.

Sadurian Mike
577950.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
so we are left with the Chinese Army and Wal-Mart.

I see a merger opportunity.

Davini994
577968.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems that the Indian Railways is really seventeen organizations as well, so we are left with the Chinese Army and Wal-Mart.

But which is better?

Sadurian Mike
577971.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote

One is a faceless mass of ruthless and dedicated people acting as mindless automata for an absolute ruling power, and the other is the Chinese army.

Ian Dunn
582844.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote

Well, I've made a balls up on that one, but I think I have found something which is both true and quite interesting.

If you want to engage in a sexual practice, but are worried about your health, then one of the healthiest sexual practices you can perform is "Seminophagia", the ingestion of semen.

Semen is made mostly out of water, but it also contains almost every nutrient needed in the human body DHA (an important omega-3 fatty acid), potassium, magnesium and selenium. One tablespoon of semen contains approximately 20 calories. One typical ejaculation contains 150 mg of protein, 11 mg of carbohydrates, 6 mg fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 7% US RDA potassium and 3% US RDA copper and zinc.

Semen contains not only zinc but also calcium, so it helps fight against tooth decay; epinephrine, which acts as an antidepressant; and testosterone, which helps maintain muscle and bone strength. There is also evidence that a father giving a pregnant mother his semen can help with pregnancy.

There is no risk of ingesting the semen of a healthy man, and seminophagia contains no added risk to fellatio. While HIV can be spread by fellatio, it and over viruses are destroyed by stomach acid.

The sexual practice of consuming the semen of multiple men is "Gokkun".

Referenced Wikipedia article on "Semiophagia"

Sadurian Mike
582852.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote

On behalf of men everywhere, Ian, can I thank you for that post and suggest you have it published in as many women's magazines as you can.

Ian Dunn
582853.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
On behalf of men everywhere, Ian, can I thank you for that post and suggest you have it published in as many women's magazines as you can.

Hang on, I'm trying to find the number of Gay Times.

Sadurian Mike
582861.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Hang on, I'm trying to find the number of Gay Times.

Is that a telephone number or a personal tally?

bemahan
582874.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote

Why is it that things that are good for you never taste nice? :)

Sadurian Mike
582879.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
There is also evidence that a father giving a pregnant mother his semen can help with pregnancy.

Not only that, but it also really helps when the woman isn't pregnant yet.

Sadurian Mike
582881.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
Why is it that things that are good for you never taste nice? :)

Believe it or not, we had a thread about the taste, probably in the F ("Fellatio") series.

It was a very popular topic for a while, but it's probably gone down by now.

bemahan
582883.  Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote

I've always been told that it's very good for you skin. Never been shown any references for that though....

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next