View previous topic | View next topic

Corby

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cummerbund for Geography
39391.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Re: QI's statement that Corby is the country/continent's biggest town without a railway station...

...is Corby bigger than Wetherby then? That was my belief regarding the train-free towns of our times.

eggshaped
39499.  Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quote

CfG, I have looked this up before, and it's a nightmare - mainly due to the age-old problem of how to measure the size of a town.

However of the half-dozen or so towns to claim this, I don't think wetherby ever came that close - forgive me if I'm wrong but I think Corby is almost twice the size (population wise anyway). - 50k (ish) versus 26k (ish).

Incidentally, and quite interestingly, one other town which claims to be the largest without a train station is Leigh in Lancashire.

Perversely enough, their football team is called, Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute.

Cummerbund for Geography
41591.  Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote

That's the answer I required!

What's the smallest town/village/hamlet in the UK with a railway station then?

tetsabb
41600.  Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Cummerbund for Geography wrote:

Frant near Tunbriedge Wells must come quite close. And it must score high on the size-of-habitation/distance-to-station ratio too!

grizzly
41624.  Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote

That's the answer I required!

Midgam on the Berks and Hants line probably comes close by name. It is actually situated in the village of Woolborough and was named so in the early days of the 1800's (when it was broad gauge as well). However, the name was changed because a number of passengers got on the train believing that it went to Wolverhampton.

Greater Bedwyn is also comparably small for that matter.

gerontius grumpus
41840.  Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote

Alnwick was voted the best place to live in England, which is a sad reflection on our attitude to railways since at present it has no railway connection.
The branch line to Alnwick was closed in the sixties as a late victim of Beecham, it is the subject of a restoration project by the Aln Valley Railway Society but they were bankrupted in a failed attempt to get national lottery funding.
This has been cited as an example of how worthy causes can be brought to their knees by the huge gamble of seeking lottery funding.

(gets off soapbox and creeps into quiet corner)

Cummerbund for Geography
41847.  Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
The branch line to Alnwick was closed in the sixties as a late victim of Beecham

[apology for imminent pedantry]

Beeching...

AndyE
42117.  Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Go to Scotland some time and get a train to Corrour.

The "place" that is Corrour consists of a railway station. No-one lives there except for the staff of a restaurant in what used to be the station building, there is no road that goes there, and there is absolutely no reason for the existence of the station.

It's popular with hikers heading for the Ossian youth hostel a couple of miles away, and with illicit couples who take dinner at the station, stay the night in the rooms there, and then return to Glasgow.

Otherwise, Quite Pointless.

Tuppy
42926.  Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote

I'd vote for Rannoch Moor station. It's just a railway station, and a moor.

grizzly
43081.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote

With respect to Corby you can go here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/nonrail/

to read the list of towns with no station (compiled by national rail enquiries to allow people to travel to and from a nearby station if necessary).

Caradoc
43113.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Try Sugar Loaf halt, probaly no more than about 20 people in a 1 mile radius.

Tuppy
43119.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Caradoc wrote:
Try Sugar Loaf halt, probaly no more than about 20 people in a 1 mile radius.

An absolute urban landscape compared to Rannoch.

gerontius grumpus
43126.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
The branch line to Alnwick was closed in the sixties as a late victim of Beecham

[apology for imminent pedantry]

Beeching...

Oh no How could I?

Let's call it an unfortunate malapropism.

Could the reference in QI Quotes be a quiet dig at me?

AndyE
43145.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote

First of all, if anyone ever needs to get to a place without a railway station, please don't rely on that National Rail Enquiries info!

It looks very inaccurate. I've only looked at A (because that is where it opens) and C (to look at Corby) and I've found a double figure number of errors already. Including a reference to a bus company which went bust in 1998! I'm not going to plug my own book here (as if I would), so suffice it to say there is at least one more accurate list available.

Rannoch and Corrour are probably about tied for the most remote station in Britain. Rannoch has a road to it though (Corrour doesn't), and there is even a bus to the station (once a week or so) from Kinloch Rannoch. This bus passes through Bridge of Gaur, which at 5 miles from the station is the nearest settlement of more than one house. Another very remote station is Altnabreac in Caithness.

There is at least one station in England which can't be reached by road - anyone care to tell me which one? Clues: It's not in Dartmoor or North Yorkshire or some similar "wild" part of the country. Neither is it all that remote - it's only about five miles from a town of 50,000 or so. Even so, you can only get there by train, on foot, or by boat.

Jenny
43174.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote

I think you ought to tell us about your book Andy, or at least give us a link...

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next