View previous topic | View next topic

the Colesseum

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Flash
34037.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote

And there's another gesture which involves hiding the thumb inside the fingers of the other hand, like sheathing a sword.

We looked into this in connection with a question on the show, and it turned out to be a good deal less clear than we had hoped it would be - in either direction.

Flash
42791.  Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote

For the record, Barry Baldwin's column in the Jan Fortean Times deals with the classical sources for the practice of throwing Christians and others to the lions (FT#205, p23), his gist being that it is quite possible or even probable that Christians were so treated in the Colosseum, despite the absence of hard evidence to that effect. (This board's position has always been a limited one, that there's no evidence that it happened specifically in the Colosseum as opposed to anywhere else, I think).

I'm sorry to say that Baldwin's column seems to be intended as a pop at our own, and FT's own, MatC. Do you want us to go round and chuck him to some big cats, Mat?

MatC
42794.  Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't do any good. Barry is an atheist. Big cats only eat Chris- oh damn! What a giveaway!

gerontius grumpus
43177.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote

I thought the idea of chariot racing in the Flavian Amphitheatre was a hollywood invention.
The circus maximus was used for this sport but horse racing was its main attraction.

MatC
43203.  Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote

Did the Romans ever throw any Christians to the tortoises? That's the sort of show it'd be worth booking a day off work for, take along a packed lunch, make a real outing of it. That's value for money, that is.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2