View previous topic | View next topic

Hentai

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ion Zone
577525.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote

It's on the back of the DVD case, I think. Can't find the quote, but it really, really is one of the most important war films ever made. Watch it and you will most likely be saying exactly the same thing. I don't like giant robots much either, really, which is why I like Nadesico as it takes the pee.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085218/

I also like Battle Royale, though that is live action.

Sadurian Mike
577529.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote

According to that link the San Jose Metro said it was "one of the most important animated films ever made", is that what you were referring to?

If a war film wants me to take it seriously it needs to:

a) Not be a cartoon.
b) Not be a cartoon drawn in the childish BESM/manga style.

I think I'll pass, thanks.

NobodyHome
577533.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Battle Royale is amazing. I read the book last year and was considering buying the manga series. Unfortunately, I am penniless at the moment.

I'm interested in seeing the live-action version of Blood: The Last Vampire. I enjoyed the original anime, although it was far too short. Apparently there were meant to be two more parts, but they decided to continue the story in a book series and a video-game instead.

Ian Dunn
577604.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote

I find the original Bubblegum Crisis to be quite interesting. I have the DVDs of the original series, and I do remember clearly seeing at least one of the main characters topless. The DVD was given a PG rating.

Amongst my favourite anime and manga are:

Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Bubblegum Crisis
Hyper Police
Aria
Gurren Lagann

The last on that list is amazing. I first saw it at my University's Animation and Comics Society (AniCom) and I found it to be brilliant. It's funny, poignant, moving, silly, surreal, saucy, action-packed and just down-right bonkers. The first volume of the series is released on DVD on Monday.

The series is also quite interesting in one particular aspect. In Gurren Lagann, one of main motifs or logos in the series is a pair of odd-shaped sunglasses worn by one of the characters, which in the logo is worn by a flaming skull. "What's interesting about this?" you may be asking - we let me take you to Wales.

In 2007, a Welsh Labour MP Ian Lucas said that the Union Flag should be changed to represent Wales more. As a result, the Daily Telegraph began an online competition asking readers to submit their own suggestions of new flags.

However, the article attracted some Japanese readers, and the winning submission was flag the same as the current Union Flag, but with the Gurren Lagann flaming skull sunglasses logo.

Original Daily Telegraph story
Story of the winner

ColinM
577626.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
If a war film wants me to take it seriously it needs to:

a) Not be a cartoon.
b) Not be a cartoon drawn in the childish BESM/manga style.

The obvious first question would be: Why? What is it about animation that prevents you from taking it seriously? It's not like it's a genre covering a narrow range of stories and interests. It's a medium covering a broad spectrum of different genres, in a variety of different ways. Yes, most of it is rubbish, but Sturgeon's law applies here as much as elsewhere.

I'm also quite confused as to why you would call anime style art "childish". But I'm far more bemused by the implication that all anime and manga are drawn in the same style. I can only assume you've barely glimpsed more than a couple of different works if you really believe that.

Oh, and as if anyone needed someone to contribute more to those lists:
  • Boogiepop Phantom;
  • Millennium Actress;
  • Mind Game;
  • Whisper of the heart.

Ion Zone
577864.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Its hardly childish, it is one of the most shocking films you could ever see, and that isn't just becuse of the imagry, it's a true story. Link.

The manga is a lot bloodyer Link. But the film does not turn away from the horror of the event, or try to lay blame. It's just chaos as they try to survive the fire, the chaos, and the radiation. If you think animation is for children, then you have watched way too much Disney. You won't forget this film.

Sadurian Mike
577901.  Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote

ColinM wrote:
The obvious first question would be: Why? What is it about animation that prevents you from taking it seriously? It's not like it's a genre covering a narrow range of stories and interests.

It is the association of cartoons with childish and fantasy subjects. "Schindler's List" or "The Longest Day" just wouldn't have worked for me as cartoons.

ColinM wrote:
I'm also quite confused as to why you would call anime style art "childish".

The characters are drawn to resemble children, with the big eyes and small nose.

As for why I think they look the same, it's because they do. I'm sure that the dedicated fanboys can tell the difference instantly, but to me they all have the same BESM drawing style.

QiScorpion
578030.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote

I have a friend who managed to walk into a hentai shop in Japan while on holiday without realising it. He looked through some of the things on the shelves and eventually realised he was in a hentai shop and walked out. All the while the staff were just looking at him oddly because at the time he was quite pale so they weren't used to having a pale Englishman in their shop.

We (my friends and I) just laughed when he told us. :P

Ian Dunn
578033.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
I have a friend who managed to walk into a hentai shop in Japan while on holiday without realising it. He looked through some of the things on the shelves and eventually realised he was in a hentai shop and walked out. All the while the staff were just looking at him oddly because at the time he was quite pale so they weren't used to having a pale Englishman in their shop.

Now that is embarrassing.

QiScorpion
578038.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
QiScorpion wrote:

Now that is embarrassing.

Not quite as embarrassing as what he told a train driver in Japanese... but i'll not tell you that. He wouldn't want me to. :P

Ion Zone
578058.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote

Quote:
As for why I think they look the same, it's because they do. I'm sure that the dedicated fanboys can tell the difference instantly, but to me they all have the same BESM drawing style.

They might look the same when you stuff them all together like that, but there is a real difference between the good stuff, such as that I mentioned, and the mass-market rubbish. If I stopped liking western films because I thought they were all totally identical, you would give me a hundred reasons why I'm wrong, even though the ratio of good-bad is probably identical. The animé style itself changes, I can give you plenty of examples of animé where there are no large eyes.

ColinM
578232.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
The characters are drawn to resemble children, with the big eyes and small nose.

Ok, but that would be "child-like character design", not "childish art style". If you can't tell the difference, consider a book with either "child-like dialogue" or "childish writing".

I still don't think you're right though. Maybe they all look like children to you, but not to me. And I certainly don't think that's what every character designer in Japan is aiming for.

Sadurian Mike wrote:
As for why I think they look the same, it's because they do.

Well they may look that way to you. But all cars look the same if all you can see is a box with wheels on. I don't think that tells me very much about car design though.

Sadurian Mike
578359.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote

ColinM wrote:
Ok, but that would be "child-like character design", not "childish art style". If you can't tell the difference, consider a book with either "child-like dialogue" or "childish writing".

How about the over-simplistic art style that is employed?

I hate the style; to me it is childish and banal. You evidently love it. Each to their own, you are not going to suddenly turn me into a fan of the style and I have no interest in watching more of something I dislike.

Sadurian Mike wrote:
As for why I think they look the same, it's because they do.

Well they may look that way to you. But all cars look the same if all you can see is a box with wheels on. I don't think that tells me very much about car design though.[/quote]
Does it need to?

I see the figures as looking the same.

Ion Zone
578385.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
How about the over-simplistic art style that is employed?

I hate the style; to me it is childish and banal.

But you haven't actually seen any real animé, just childrens stuff and tiny low-res screenshots. And you are talking like it's all made by one person.

Sadurian Mike
578389.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Yes, you're right.

Having never seen anything but exactly what you ascribe to me (how you evidently know what I have seen and not seen I will never know, but it will amaze my mate with whom I have watched the stuff), I bow down to your superior taste and admit that I am wrong in my opinions.

Or to put it another way, you are not going to change my opinion of it by keep bleating on about how I haven't seen this or that, or that I just don't understand it, or that there is deeper meaning that I fail to appreciate.

I do not like the style.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next