View previous topic | View next topic

Haydn

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Susannah Dingley
597378.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
When did it become important for a piece of music to have an "interesting" aside rather than just being enjoyable?

Ask exnihilo. exnihilo is the one who is whining about this thread not being interesting.

exnihilo wrote:
I didn't suggest you were copying them from anywhere, only that they amounted to little more than cover notes, not interesting and little known facts about Haydn himself but little reviews of his endless symphonies.

bobwilson
597379.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote

BTW Susannah - why is your signature entitled "Did you know" (suggesting an emporium of useless but interesting factoids) when it just points to - well, an advertisement for things that are only interesting due to them being of no interest whatsoever?

exnihilo
597405.  Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote

Hardly whining, just pointing it out.

Susannah Dingley
597749.  Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
BTW Susannah - why is your signature entitled "Did you know" (suggesting an emporium of useless but interesting factoids) when it just points to - well, an advertisement for things that are only interesting due to them being of no interest whatsoever?

Thanks for pointing it out. I recently changed my sig to something else, only to change it back shortly after; however, on changing it back, I must have mistyped the URL. I’ve fixed the link so it should work fine now.

exnihilo wrote:
Hardly whining, just pointing it out.

Okay, fair enough.

Gaazy
597873.  Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote

Whole books have been written which consist of nothing but 'interesting' snippets about pieces of music and their composers (e.g. Dudley Moore's Musical Bumps; The Guinness Book of Music); I have to admit to finding it mildly interesting that Erik (real name: Eric) Satie had 200 umbrellas, or that a piece by John Cage, currently in performance in Halberstadt, Germany, is scheduled to have a duration of 639 years, ending in 2640, but maybe only musos find this sort of thing QI.

Davini994
598133.  Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Now those facts are interesting.

Susannah Dingley
598507.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote

Heck! To hell with interestingness. From now on, just post anything you like, interesting or not.

Symphony № 64 in A Major (sometimes called Tempora mutantur) was played on BBC Radio 3 just now. Now, if Haydn is believed to have asked for the slow movement of his Symphony No.44 in E Minor to be played at his funeral, I think the slow movement of No.64 may very well be his second choice. In any case, it’s one of my favourite slow movements of Haydn’s symphonies – so calm, gentle and peaceful.

exnihilo
598690.  Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote

Riiiiiiiight.

Susannah Dingley
598987.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote

Symphony № 65 in A Major was played today. The minuet is a masterpiece: the music moves from 3/4 time to common time and back to 3/4 time! The time signature remains unchanged, but Haydn shifts the beats by using marking accented notes forzato.

davebesag
599065.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote

I think there should be some questions solely because it's my middle name (after a family friend rather than the composer) ;-)

Gaazy
599075.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote

Haydn (pronounced with a vowel rhyming with 'play' rather than 'high') is a common first name in South Wales, as is Handel.

Bach isn't.

The word happens to mean 'small' in Welsh, but is also used (as by Dylan Thomas in Under Milk Wood in the phrase 'Bach bach') as an untranslatable adjective, whose meaning changes according to circumstances.

"Daniel bach" could mean, according to the tone of voice, approximately "aaah, little Danielkins", "Daniel - a good sort" or "Daniel, for pity's sake".

Flash
599148.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Nice, Gareth. That's going in the goody bag for the H Series, (with your permission).

Gaazy
599986.  Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote

My pleasure!

Posital
599992.  Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
Heck! To hell with interestingness. From now on, just post anything you like, interesting or not.
Have I just died and gone to another (albeit duller) forum?

Posital
599997.  Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Karl Rosenbaum, the secretary of the Esterházy family (Haydn's employers), and Johann Nepomuk Peter, governor of the provincial prison of Lower Austria.

They stole Haydn's head after he/it was buried.

They wanted to use it to better understand genius through phrenology.

The head rejoined the body 145 years after the burial.

See wiki.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next