View previous topic | View next topic

Haydn

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Susannah Dingley
592543.  Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Sheriff Fatman wrote:
… knobbish (I take it that is what you were trying to spell. It might also have been snobbish but it's so hard to tell being that I am so unclever and unsophisticated that I can't guess something that has zero pointers.

Tsk, tsk.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/noob

Sheriff Fatman
592620.  Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
Sheriff Fatman wrote:
… knobbish (I take it that is what you were trying to spell. It might also have been snobbish but it's so hard to tell being that I am so unclever and unsophisticated that I can't guess something that has zero pointers.

Tsk, tsk.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/noob

Ach well, internet slang a pile of bilge water anyway, but WAG people will be ROFLTAO at me.

Though even if noob is a word (kind of) it really doesn't make sense in the sentance it was used in.

Susannah Dingley
592755.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote

Sheriff Fatman wrote:
Though even if noob is a word (kind of) it really doesn't make sense in the sentance it was used in.

It was a pretty neat parody of your own words though.

Susannah Dingley
596577.  Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote

Symphony № 63 in C Major exists in two very different versions. The version in my CD collection of the Haydn symphonies featuring Antal Doráti conducting the Philharmonia Hungarica is the so-called Second Version, which lacks the trumpets and timpani in the First Version. Indeed, the last two movements are totally different in the two versions. The version now being played on BBC Radio 3 is the Second Version.

The second movement of this symphony is based on incidental music Haydn wrote for a German adaptation of the play Les Trois Sultanes by the French playwright Charles-Simon Favart. The heroine of the comedy is Roxelane (modelled on Roxelana, wife of Suleiman the Magnificient, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire) – hence the nickname “Roxelane” for this symphony.

exnihilo
596984.  Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Might I suggest that this thread would be more interesting if it contained more facts about the man and fewer CD cover notes?

Posital
596987.  Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
GL5 wrote:
there are people who have never heard the work before who nevertheless didn't get caught out on hearing it the first time

How's that, then? Is there a clue in the music that they were able to pick up?
I simply don't bother clapping - they've already been paid, so why do they want gratitude too?

Does that make me a sophisticate?

Perhaps I should start clapping my gramophone player, just to keep up with the times?

Sadurian Mike
597076.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Might I suggest that this thread would be more interesting if it contained more facts about the man and fewer CD cover notes?

Did you know that he was a follower of the Punjabi religion founded by Guru Nanak?

That was when he was known as Haydn Sikh.

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited by Sadurian Mike on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

exnihilo
597082.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote

Oy vey.

Susannah Dingley
597169.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:

They are not CD cover notes! What in the world gave you the notion that I would want to waste time copying stuff from a CD cover? I might as well just ask you to buy the CDs and read the notes yourself!

As BBC Radio 3 is playing two Haydn symphonies each week this year to mark the bicentenary of the composer’s death, I thought I’d just post a bit of my own reflections on some of the more interesting symphonies as they come along. I’ve been doing that in the “What are you listening to right now?” thread and then I thought, why not here instead.

Last edited by Susannah Dingley on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Sadurian Mike
597174.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
I might as well just ask you to buy the CDs and read the notes yourself!

You could ask....

exnihilo
597366.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps I ought, as I've obviously never listened to any Haydn.

I didn't suggest you were copying them from anywhere, only that they amounted to little more than cover notes, not interesting and little known facts about Haydn himself but little reviews of his endless symphonies.

Susannah Dingley
597372.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote

So you don’t find the idea of an crchestra “pausing” in the middle of playing for some of the players to retune their instruments interesting? (And we’re not even talking of any 20th-century avant-garde composition, but a full-fledged 18th-century Classical symphony here.)

bobwilson
597376.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote

When did it become important for a piece of music to have an "interesting" aside rather than just being enjoyable?

Susannah Dingley
597378.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
When did it become important for a piece of music to have an "interesting" aside rather than just being enjoyable?

Ask exnihilo. exnihilo is the one who is whining about this thread not being interesting.

exnihilo wrote:
I didn't suggest you were copying them from anywhere, only that they amounted to little more than cover notes, not interesting and little known facts about Haydn himself but little reviews of his endless symphonies.

bobwilson
597379.  Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote

BTW Susannah - why is your signature entitled "Did you know" (suggesting an emporium of useless but interesting factoids) when it just points to - well, an advertisement for things that are only interesting due to them being of no interest whatsoever?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next