View previous topic | View next topic

Heaven and Hell

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
576699.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote

The term for fiction set in the afterlife is "Bangsian fantasy", named after American novellist and satirist John Kendrick Bangs. Recent people who have created Bangsian fantasy include QI panellist Andy Hamliton, who writes and stars in Radio 4's Old Harry's Game playing Satan. It has run for seven series, which for any sitcom is good, but for radio is an even bigger achievement.

Personally, my favourite Bangsian fantasy is an webcomic called Jack, which is both Bangsian and a furry webcomic. The furry genre is that of anthropomorphic animals. If you wish to read it, bare in mind that it is for over-18s only. One review of the comic described it as containing, "rape, drug use, swearing, graphic sexual acts, incest, cannibalism, nudity, savage violence, and images of Hell."

The title character is a wizened green rabbit who is the embodiment of one of the seven deadly sins, in his case wrath. He is punished by becoming the Grim Reaper and is therefore forced to witness the one thing that makes him the most angry - death. His other punishment is that he has no memory of what he did when he was alive, so he does not know what sins he committed and therefore cannot be forgiven for them.

This comic contains one of my favourite quotes. When talking about love and sex, one characters says:

Quote:
"In Heaven, they make love... on Earth, they have sex... but down here in Hell, down here... they f***."

Which I think is very profound. It describes perfectly how sex can strain from being an act of romance and passion to one of horror and disgust. Granted, you are somewhat distracted by the rape scene that is taking place when the quote is said, but it still has meaning. Also, the f-word is blanked out.

It should also be pointed out that Heaven and Hell should not be confused with Kevin and Kell - that's a different furry webcomic all together. It is much cleaner for a start, the only real violence is either cartoon violence or animals hunting one-another, and it is also one of the longest running webcomics in the world, having started in 1995 and still going.

Posital
576731.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote

I thought this was going to be an extension of the Heavy Metal thread - sadly no BS.

Ion Zone
576962.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
"In Heaven, they make love... on Earth, they have sex... but down here in Hell, down here... they f***."

I think that's a copy-paste, I'm afraid.

Ian Dunn
576963.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Quote:

I think that's a copy-paste, I'm afraid.

Where from?

Ion Zone
576971.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote

It is somewhere famous. It might just be that that comic was mentioned before, but I'm sure it was from a writer. I've searched QI and the web, but I'm not getting anything, sorry.

Efros
576982.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote

I've seen it ascribed to David Hopkins.

Ian Dunn
576991.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote

David Hopkins is the man who writes and draws Jack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(webcomic)

Efros
576994.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote

to be honest it sounds like something Bill Hicks would have come out with.

Ian Dunn
577008.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
to be honest it sounds like something Bill Hicks would have come out with.

Well I've got all his CDs and DVDs - I don't remember him saying that.

Efros
577049.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Likewise, but it has the same sort of ring about it.

Peregrine Arkwright
615608.  Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote

I think there's an upper limit on the amount of tinned rice pudding I would ever wish to consume.

Peregrine Arkwright

Celebaelin
615610.  Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Heaven for climate, hell for society.

Mark Twain

Quote:
Hell is other people.

Jean-Paul Satre

Quote:
We are each are own devil, and we make this world our hell.

Oscar Wilde

Quote:
If you are going through hell, keep going.

Winston Churchill

Quote:
Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way round, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.

Adolf Hitler

CB27
615929.  Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote

As an alternative view from someone who doesn't believe in divine beings and therefore doesn't accept the notion of a heaven and hell, I think one of the best "afterlife" fiction I've ever read was a series of books called Riverworld by Philip Josť Farmer (sadly died this year).

markfleeds
623033.  Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote

"What fresh hell is this?" - Dorothy Parker (when about to answer the phone)

"Do I know where hell is? Hell is in hello..." - Top philosopher Lee Marvin

Incidentally, for the best ever description of hell, see the sermon bit of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Ian Dunn
628781.  Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote

"Officers of the 52nd" is a term dating back to 1909, which refered to young men who always went to church for all 52 Sundays of the year.

In Gloucestershire, an old word used to mean the Devil was "Miffy".

Source: The Wonder of Whiffling by Adam Jacot de Boinod.

Page 1 of 1