View previous topic | View next topic

Hitler's Paintings

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

samivel
576306.  Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Because he nicked all their gold and put it in Swiss banks?

Ion Zone
576428.  Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote

I've never understood the whole "Buy it and burn it" thing, yes, please! Give me money for things! :}

Sadurian Mike
576433.  Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Quite. It's not as if the man is going to benefit from the sale, after all.

zomgmouse
576530.  Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote

austinallegro wrote:
The connotations alone would freak me out.

Plus the paintings themselves aren't exactly all that good either.

Sadurian Mike
576537.  Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote

People aren't buying great art, they are buying into a macabre history. As I said, Nazi and Hitler memorabilia is very collectable for those interested in it (which doesn't include me).

Compare it with Napoleon, the Hitler of his day. After his death, all sorts of memorabilia relating to him circulated, including (allegedly) his penis.

austinallegro
576681.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote

But looking from a 21st Century perspective, Napoleon doesn’t seem that 'bad'. From a million and one different film or TV representations he’s just shown to be a jocular, pompous buffoon. Pretty much anything can be become 'normal' after a suitably long time. Take the Vikings for instance, just because it happened several hundred years ago means we can just show them all to be comical bearded chaps with funny hats and neatly gloss over all the raping and pillaging they did.
No doubt one day in the future WW2 might be like this...

Posital
576742.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote

To be frank - I'd be very pleased if I could paint as well as him.

He was a troubled man who couldn't achieve much through his art - so turned to other means with terrible results.

It's very easy to demonise - but the enigma for me is how could the same person display the patience and care to create a work of art?

I can only assume he wasn't attempting world domination through his paintings... perhaps it was an attempt to control our perceptions?

samivel
576744.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote

Well, there have been jokey representations of Nazis for as long as there have been Nazis, so I'm not sure what your point is.

There have been glossed-over portrayals of Vikings, and there have been serious attempts at realistic portrayal. It depends what you're hoping to achieve.

Sadurian Mike
576774.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote

This is very realistic.

zomgmouse
576782.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xs8TVkJSUc

'44 Merrie Melodies cartoon. Splendid, absolutely splendid.

# We are gremlins, from the Kremlin... #

Lukecash
584388.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
To be frank - I'd be very pleased if I could paint as well as him.

He was a troubled man who couldn't achieve much through his art - so turned to other means with terrible results.

It's very easy to demonise - but the enigma for me is how could the same person display the patience and care to create a work of art?

I can only assume he wasn't attempting world domination through his paintings... perhaps it was an attempt to control our perceptions?

Hitler was by all accounts a funny, charming man. He was not the one dimensional monster that Allied propagandist wanted you to believe.
He was a vegetarian, a pagan, had affairs with many women. (Including some wives of staff members)

Sadurian Mike
584431.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote

He was a vegetarian because his doctor advised it as a way to cure his chronic flatulence.

Being pagan is a common myth as well. He was a Roman Catholic, informing General Gerhart Engel in 1941; "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." I think the pagan myth came about because of his fascination with the supernatural.

His affairs are thought by many to be a symptom of his megalomania, not something connected with his being a "funny, charming man".

But yes, he could be remarkably charming when he wanted to be, as reported by several of his generals and by foreign ambassadors who met him.

djgordy
584440.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

Being pagan is a common myth as well. He was a Roman Catholic, informing General Gerhart Engel in 1941; "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." I think the pagan myth came about because of his fascination with the supernatural.

Yes, 'cos obviously Roman Catholics aren't fascinated by the supernatural. Well, apart from the whole God thing.

Janet H
584441.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Being pagan is a common myth as well. He was a Roman Catholic, informing General Gerhart Engel in 1941; "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." I think the pagan myth came about because of his fascination with the supernatural..............

Well that explains the Madonna and Child in the first painting. It looks like a devotional work to me, not that I know a lot about art. But as Posital said, I would be pleased to paint that well. On the other hand, I have no interest in invading Poland. Or anywhere else, with the possible exception of Waitrose.

djgordy
584448.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Hitler's paintings are quite good really for an amateur. If he had kept it up he might have become a very good artist.

There is always a market for items associated with notorious people, just as there is with more wholesome slebs. On one of the day time antique/collectible programmes, "Dickinson's Real Deal" I think, there were some painting by the Krays. The chap selling them get them from his father, so far as I remember, who was in prison with Ronnie and Reggie. These paintings were rubbish but they went for considerably more than chips.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next