577018.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Stop playing D&D games and do your homework! :}

Sadurian Mike
577025.  Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Wow, deju vu!

Celebaelin
577250.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
The weapon was listed in the old 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons "Players' Handbook"

No Mike, the Bohemian Ear-spoon was listed in 1st Edn AD&D PH (1978) and reprints of it but not in subsequent game versions.

The full listing of 1st Edn polearms (listed seperately as weapons in alphabetical order) is

Bardiche
Bec de Corbin
Bill-Guisarme includes Scorpion
Fauchard
Fauchard-Fork
Fork, Military
Glaive includes Corteaux de Breche
Glaive-Guisarme
Guisarme includes Bill/Bill Hook
Guisarme-Voulge includes Lochaber Axe
Halberd
Hammer, Lucern
(Lance, if used on foot I suppose)
Partisan includes bohemian Ear-Spoon*
Pike, Awl (and non-Awl Pikes presumably ie long spears)
Ranseur
Spear (the daddy of them all - can also be thrown)
Spetum includes Corseque, Korseke
Trident (unusual one, only this pole and spears can be used one-handed to any effect, this too can be thrown)
Voulge

If you needed to know what these looked like you had to wait until Unearthed Arcana was published (1985 - Appendix T)

* The one illustrated earlier looks more ranseur-like to me!

They missed out the Falx of course, a short polearm used two handed by the Dacians against the Romans.

Celebaelin
577344.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote

Then there's the Naginata which probably wasn't supposed to be on the initial list, there is no listing for Katana or Shuriken for instance. The Naginata is similar to the UA Fauchard but my instinct (and Wiki seems to agree) would be to compare it to the Glaive, or some Glaive designs anyway. What UA shows as a Bill is very similar to a Naginata and also to an 'uncomplicated' Glaive design. Traditionally the Naginata is the weapon used by a female member of a Samurai family for home defence.

The Bardiche incidentally is not used in the same manner as other members of the group and arose as a modified musket rest as used by the Polish Army.

In these historical examples obviously the middle one isn't a Bardiche. The fingers would be placed through the fenestration when in use as a rest and the heavy shaft suggests that the weapon could be used somewhat like a staff with one hand protected by the blade with which you would punch whist swinging the other end to bludgeon your opponent. It's not unresonable to suggest that the Bardiche is not really a polearm (although it is a Polish arm obviously) but it could undoubtedly be used as an axe and the spike on the butt end, seen clearly in the 1674 illustration (of Russian musketeers from the Strelsky Regiment), adds another functionality in the staff-like mode of use.

Sadurian Mike
577408.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
The weapon was listed in the old 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons "Players' Handbook"

No Mike, the Bohemian Ear-spoon was listed in 1st Edn AD&D PH (1978) and reprints of it but not in subsequent game versions.

Gad, you're right, it was 1st Edition (with the iconic cover). For years I've had it in my head that I had been playing the 2nd Edition rather than 1st, I have no idea where that came from. Possibly a desire to recover some years.

mckeonj
577415.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote

The predecessor to the modern policeman was the Watch, or Watchman, who carried a pike, or halberd, or whatever; anyway it was a billhook on a pole.
Is this why the police are called The Bill, or The Old Bill?

Sadurian Mike
577425.  Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote

That's certainly one of a great many theories for the origin of the name.

Metropolitan Police list of possible origins.

A pike, by the way, is technically a very long spear, a halberd is the combination axe/spear/hook or hammer, and the bill is the modified agricultural billhook on a long pole.

Celebaelin
578145.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Gad, you're right, it was 1st Edition (with the iconic cover).

I have this one (3rd printing)

Note the non-glossy finish and lack of horrible yellow tag in the top left with 'Advanced D&D' written on it. It is quite a long way from mint however, dog-eared is more like it. One of my nephews' first attempt at writing was to scribble on the flyleaf in biro!

Efros
578149.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote

these are the ones we used.

Celebaelin
578153.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote

I was first introduced to the game with the Basic Box-Set, the cover was blue and white IIRC

You can pick up a used one on Amazon for as little as $59.99.

btw in case this hasn't been mentioned Dave Arneson died quite recently so now both co-creators have gone to the great game convention in the sky.

Ion Zone
578203.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Naginata

I really want one of those, it's a very, very, good pole arm.

Sadurian Mike
578354.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
Gad, you're right, it was 1st Edition (with the iconic cover).

I have this one (3rd printing)

I have managed to get reasonable copies of both 1st Edition PHB and DMG, but I have't gotten around to the MM yet. I'll get there.

I also had the Basic Set, which I may well set out to rediscover from eBay when I have some spare cash.

Incidentally, I know where my confusion came from; in 1981 I bought 2ed Runequest and that took over from AD&D as my game of choice. In my befuddled brain I evidently mixed the two.

Sadurian Mike
578356.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Quote:
Naginata

I really want one of those, it's a very, very, good pole arm.

The Chinese went further with their polearms and I much prefer theirs, possibly due to my interest in the Japanese weapons being dulled by over-exposure.

The Guan Do, or Kwan Do (a Chinese glaive), for example, is just so over-the-top that it is great.

Janet H
578367.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Ah, the two flag defence against a bloke with a damn great sharp thing onna stick.

Fails every time.

Sadurian Mike
578376.  Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Or, as the Chinese call it, Heavenly Semaphorist Meet Ancestors.

(Those are hook swords, by the way).

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next