View previous topic | View next topic

Hangover

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

QiScorpion
575762.  Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
I imagine tea-totallers will not experience a hangover, except second-hand.

Probably not, unless they go tea-total (tee-total?) after a hangover :P

mckeonj
575911.  Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Taking half a litre of water before retiring to bed is quite effective; it assists the process of eliminating the toxins, and confers the added benefit of requiring one to wake early, with a full bladder, early enough to get to work on time without a hangover.

bemahan
575915.  Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote

I used to have beans on toast before I went out and then drink masses of water before I went to bed, and every time I woke up in the night. Means you have to get up to wee quite a lot but worth it to help minimise the hangover.

samivel
575927.  Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote

I've never had a hangover. Not even when I was drinking alcohol. So ner.

Ion Zone
575930.  Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone will experience a hangover at least once in their life.

I don't drink. :} But A hangover can be reduced by drinking at least half as much water, such as in a soft drink, as the amount of alcoholic drinks as a hangover is mainly dehydration of the brain.

exnihilo
576305.  Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I've said this before on here, but I shall say it again:

Teetotaler. It has nothing whatever to do with tea. It is thought to be derived from Total Abstinence. Capital T, Total. Teetotal.

crissdee
578713.  Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote

I have mentioned this before, but the best hangover cure I ever found was a couple of helpings of chilli. Went from death warmed up to raring to go in a matter of minutes.

PDR
1121889.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
I imagine tea-totallers will not experience a hangover, except second-hand.

I refute that. I've had many hangovers and I'm a teetotaller. But admittedly I'm not very good at it.

PDR

CharliesDragon
1121911.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote

Since this thread is apparently resurrected, one thing to do to minimise or avoid a hang-over is to drink in the right order. Beer, then wine, then spirits. Basically never go down on alcohol content once you've gone up.

Other than that, drink water and perhaps some painkillers before going to bed. If you even then feel like death when you wake up, fatty food can take care of the nausea. It did for me one of the very few times I've been hung over.

Zziggy
1121913.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote

I'm one of those sickening people who doesn't seem to get hangovers. I have had two in my life and both went unnoticed until they went and I realised that I felt better than I had done a couple of hours ago. In both cases, they disappeared after a serving of cheese on toast and fruit juice.

Can't remember where I heard it since it was years ago, but I thought protein was meant to help a hangover. And obviously water too (is it true or just someone trying to scare us straight that alcohol shrinks your brain through dehydration?)

PDR
1121915.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
I'm one of those sickening people who doesn't seem to get hangovers. I have had two in my life and both went unnoticed until they went and I realised that I felt better than I had done a couple of hours ago. In both cases, they disappeared after a serving of cheese on toast and fruit juice.

You know how you can suddenly go off some people...

:o(

PDR

Zziggy
1121932.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote

Here's a tip that served me well as a teenager:

If you drink enough, you wake up the next morning still drunk. No hangover!

HTH

CharliesDragon
1121947.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote

Yeah, the times that's happened are among the few times I've felt crap after drinking...

bobwilson
1122026.  Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
I've never had a hangover. Not even when I was drinking alcohol. So ner.

A relative of mine has Prader-Willi syndrome which as one of its' effects means that he can get very drunk on as little as one stubbi (ie one of those mini-bottles of beer), and never has a hangover.

bemahan
1122046.  Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote

That's the first time I've ever heard someone finding a positive side of having P-W. Mind you, I worked with people with the syndrome before the medical world had worked out early diagnosis and management.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next