View previous topic | View next topic

Breaking a wine glass with the voice

Page 1 of 1

Conundrum
569391.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Just watched the second episode of series C which ends with the panellists trying to break a glass with their voice alone. There's the gag with the sugar-glass one and then over the end credits Doon Mackichan tries it for real. All that is said (by Steven) is "100 decibels plus".

So my question is this, is volume all that is needed? Or does it rely on pitch, too? Or what?

Jenny
569394.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote

Check out http://large.stanford.edu/courses/ph210/scodary2/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiM6AtNLXX4

suze
569533.  Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote

It needs to be a sustained note at a constant frequency, and even most opera singers can't do that.

Mythbusters got it to work though; for the lead crystal wine glasses they used, the frequency needed was 556 Hz.

Moosh
569536.  Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote

I recall seeing Brainiac try it, putting the glass in front of an amplifier, through which Status Quo were all playing the same note together. At the time I thought it looked rather dodgy, but the programme claimed it to work.

Sadurian Mike
569663.  Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Rather dodgy that Quo were all playing the same note?

Bondee
570311.  Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
I recall seeing Brainiac try it, putting the glass in front of an amplifier, through which Status Quo were all playing the same note together. At the time I thought it looked rather dodgy, but the programme claimed it to work.

inevitable YouTube link

At approx 1:50 (just after the glass shatters) and again a couple of seconds before the end, you can see a strip of gaffer tape stuck to the flight case that the glass is standing on. I think that it's covering a cable that ran up to a small explosive charge that was underneath the glass.

Posital
570317.  Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote

If you can play a note by rubbing the rim of the glass - play/sing that note back full volume.

After that it's just volume, yes.

(although the required frequency might change a bit with volume)

Susannah Dingley
570358.  Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Mythbusters got it to work though; for the lead crystal wine glasses they used, the frequency needed was 556 Hz.

That would be round about the note C# above concert A (440 Hz).

Posital
570361.  Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Only if you can source exactly the same glasses.

I suspect the Q for this effect to be really tight - and so you'd need some kind of feedback loop.

Page 1 of 1