View previous topic | View next topic

Joining the Web of Obscurity

Page 1 of 16
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Rory Gilmore
25705.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote

This is where we can indulge in pathetic links to fame. Perhaps eventually we can all be loosely linked with every famous person in the country.

My home was once the summer house of Adams Acton, Queen Victoria's sculpter.
What's more, my brother's flatmate's friend used to go out with one of the guys from Franz Ferdinand.

Last edited by Rory Gilmore on Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
25720.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote

This sounds like a dinner-party game we used to play, called 'Obscure Claims to Fame.' The idea was, that the more obscure your claim to fame, and the further you could get from it, the more highly you scored. My friend Roger had a beauty about how you could look left out of his Aunti Mona's front door and see the front door of John Kettley's sister.

Rory Gilmore
25778.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote

Really? My sister's boyfriend's brother's friend used to drum for Snow Patrol. I think that's the longest I know of.
My mother and her mother were once in the same subway carriage as Roger Daltry.
My mother also once held hands with one of the Walker brothers.
I once had my photo taken with the Calcutta cup, so that links me with countless rugby players, all of whom have widely reconised names I'm sure.

Last edited by Rory Gilmore on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Gray
25786.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote

My first girlfriend's uncle used to go fishing with Robert Palmer's bassist's mechanic.

Rory Gilmore
25788.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote

My English teacher's stepfather knew someone who knew Lenin.

My sister's boyfriend's brother's friend once met Robert Plant.
When I was in primary school (about seven years old) we all went to greet the Queen when she visited the Isle of Arran. We all had to stand there lined up whilst she slowly walked down but the only ones she spoke to were a couple of brownies. Honestly, representing the brownies rather than your school!

25805.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote

I (apparently) sat in the same café as Rowan Atkinson, who was taking a break from filming Mr. Bean. When I was two.

Pyreo
25806.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote

(That post above would be mine, because since the number of ways I can invent to embarrass myself on the internet knows no bounds, I forgot to log in.)

Rory Gilmore
25809.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote

I was on a boat in Bangkok for an evening river cruise type dining thing and sitting near me was Steve Backley (javelin thrower) but this was before I got my glasses and so I couldn't make him out.

dotcom
25812.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Well. Let me think.
Ah. I saw Rory Bremner, or whatever he's called, that guy from They Think It's All Over in a restaurant in Cambridge.

My uncle used to be in a band called Goodbye Jane and they got played on Radio Two a few times. Don't know if anyone's heard of them. They kind of sucked....:P

Flash
25819.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote

Dot - that'd be Rory McGrath, and you can renew your acquaintance with him in show 3 of this series (and again in show 6).

Frederick The Monk
25826.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote

The old boy on the allotments who used to take pity on us and give us proper vegetables was the son of a bloke who was a gardener at a house that was later bought by Roger Daltry.

dr.bob
25846.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:38 am Reply with quote

My father's cousin's wife's brother-in-law was Buster Bloodvessel, lead singer with Bad Manners (who won't be remembered by anyone under the age of 30).

Except that's no longer the case since my father's cousin is now divorced.

eggshaped
25854.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote

I was at school seven years below Mercury Music Prize winner Badly Drawn Boy, and seven years above Danny out of squeeky teen-pop group McFly.

The pop-star-every-seven-years clearly skipped a generation in my year.

Caradoc
25857.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote

My wife is distantly related to three former MP's including, to the families shame, Neil Hamilton.

I nearly met Douglas Adams, I had to catch a train & left before he arrived, the reverse happened with Bob Geldof except he had a plane to catch.

Rory Gilmore
25886.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote

Perhaps dotcom would like to know Viz (www.viz.co.uk) have offered and I believe still do offer a cash reward of around £1 for anyone who sends in a picture of Rory McGrath (which they took).

Page 1 of 16
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next