View previous topic | View next topic

Boats

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

CB27
559941.  Tue May 26, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote

According to the National Maritime Museum, the Historic Ships Committee have designated a vessel below 40 tons and 40 feet in length as a boat. However, submarines and fishing vessels are always known as boats whatever their size.

I remember in the past Stephen has caught out returning guests on questions he'd previously asked and the answer had changed, maybe the same is due here?

megra
559948.  Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the definitive answer. The version I was given was back in the early 70s and I have no idea if it was ever correct.

cwlimey
603028.  Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote

Frederick The Monk wrote:
Unusual Boats
(prompted by some saints stories)

(St. Pirrin floated from Ireland to Cornwall on a millstone)

Hello mates, My dads from truto and his dad built the little stone bridge that you use to cross the stream that makes it's way down Perranporth beach (which was based on St Pirrins name) to the ocean.
He used to tell me about St, Pirrin and the grubwumps that ran the treackle mines, some of which I believed, especially the Cornish Piskies but he never went into details about St Pirrin and what he was doing on the millstone. Was it a similar idea to quetzacoatl the red headed Aztec God that floated off in a very unstable craft to pay penance for the somewhat more than sibling love he felt for his sister or was it something else. I'd be really interested to hear about it. If you want to read books with all the old Cornish slang mixed in with Gaelic, there's a series out that's out of print except on EBAY that is highly amusing if you cam get your head around the language. Cheers, Chris

Jenny
603074.  Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote

Welcome Chris, and thanks for the contribution :-)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2