View previous topic | View next topic

WAR! (hnuh)... what is it good for?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Sadurian Mike
564876.  Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Absolutely... something, actually.

In the spirit of chasing and supporting lost causes, I present this thread as a way to get everyone to try to play Devil's Advocate. Defend those positions and phenomena that are traditionally easy targets, find positives amongst the negatives, and look at things with new eyes.

To carry on the thread title's theme;

War is a major driving force behind new technology and social changes. WWI provided the impetus for women's emancipation and the development of both psychiatry and plastic surgery. It also took flight from rickety and unreliable aircraft to fast, strong and reliable machines.

The dreadful shape of urban recruits for the Boer War saw a new social programme that eventually led to the current Social Security system, as well as highlighting the terrible nature of urban housing for the poor.

Indeed, you can even point to the English Civil War, where a new era of a Constitutional Monarchist British Government was born.

Pick a subject and find the positives.

Posital
564879.  Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Nazi Germany launched us a man on the moon...
The Boer war brought us Florence Nightingale...
Gordon Brown brought us... ummm... I give in... irrational exuberance?

Sadurian Mike
564894.  Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:

Crimean War...

Posital
564910.  Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Posital wrote:

Crimean War...

Oh well - the mistakes that happen in the rush to defame someone...

Theblazeuk
565066.  Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote

Interesting idea. Too rough right now to think properly tho :)

QiScorpion
565193.  Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote

Smoking's good for the economy, annoyingly.

Efros
565204.  Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote

The next global conflict will more than likely solve our overpopulation problems, hopefully not permanently.

"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Ion Zone
565336.  Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Medicine has usually gained hugely, it was a hospital running out of the means for cauterisation during a war that finally ended its use.

Sadurian Mike
565339.  Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Crime is good for employment. If there was no crime in this country then hundreds of thousands of jobs would be lost, from the police and other enforcement agencies such as private security guards and traffic wardens, to solicitors, barristers and judges, and prison guards and civilian prison staff.

Some would no doubt be retained for the purpose of non-criminal legislation, but a whole swathe of jobs would suddenly become redundant.

ColinM
565470.  Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote

I'm not entirely convinced by that. You'd need to keep a fair number of them around for potential crime, even if no actual crimes were happening. Certainly far fewer than we have now though. It's also a bit harsh to suggest that such people wouldn't be able to get jobs doing anything else, though I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

Similarly, you could argue that disease is good as it keeps doctors in work.

Theblazeuk
565509.  Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote

There's the less controversial suggestion that disease is good as a population control (though still pretty controversial, probably less than the idea that its main function is to provide employment).

Ameena
565532.  Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote

I suppose unemployment has the benefit of providing jobs for the people who work in Job Centres ;).

Efros
565536.  Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote

Yeah let's face it where else would those condescending, mealy mouthed arseholes get a job. My experience of Job (what a misnomer) Centre staff has not been the best. I know in Greenock in the 80s the local Job Centre was known as the Joke Shop.

samivel
565682.  Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Unless they moved the whole staff down south in the last twenty-odd years, the Greenock mealy-mouthed condescending arseholes are probably fairly representative of their type.

djgordy
565698.  Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Posital wrote:

Crimean War...

Flo was born in 1820 but the Crimean War didn't start until 1853. I don't think, therefore, that you could say that the Crimean War brought us Florence Nightingale.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next