View previous topic | View next topic

The Meaning of Liff

Page 122 of 349
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 347, 348, 349  Next

swot
936697.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

Ballycrogue

A child who tries to rebel and misbehave, but who isn't quite bright enough to pull it off.

Once, while conducting the youth band, I confiscated a phone from a child. About 10 minutes later (after I'd put the phone down near me and forgotten about it) he silently got out of his chair, walked towards the phone and picked it up. He would have got away with it, had he not said "I'm taking back my phone, ha!" as he did so.

Rathcrogue

A youngish child (often female) who is all sweetness and light when adults are around, but the nastiest child imaginable when unsupervised.

Spud McLaren
937707.  Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Garigny adj.

Descriptive of the wilful behaviour of OS maps and broadsheet newspapers.

Chuelles pl. n.

What one has on the end of one's shoelaces when the aglets have shed.

Spud McLaren
937864.  Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote

Oh, titties.

It occasionally happens that we get two different definions for the same Liff; but I've just discovered that we now have two different Liffs for the same definition, and it's all my fault...
< breaks down in floods of tears, and has to be consoled with double whisky. Any kind soul buying? No? Sod it, then... >

D Adams & J Lloyd wrote:
LULWORTH (n.)
Measure of conversation. A lulworth defines the amount of the length, loudness and embarrassment of a statement you make when everyone else in the room unaccountably stops talking at the same time.

Which makes post 835319 somewhat redundant unless, Lulworth being on the S coast and the Whernsides in Yorkshire, we can count it as a regional variation. I expect things like this occur in non-Liff English too.

Yep - they do.

In other news, I was mildly shocked to discover that next year is TMOL's 30th anniversary. We really ought to mark the occasion - maybe try for the publication of The Wider Meaning of Liff?

Stefan Linnemann
938030.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote

Kekerdom n.
the look of a person who has just comitted an unbelievable stupid remark, idea, or action while being too intelligent to normally commit the remark, idea or action. "After eagerly grabbing the Magma Carta barehanded and hamfistedly, Stephen looked kekerdom at the torn pieces of manuscript in either hand."

swot
938048.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

In other news, I was mildly shocked to discover that next year is TMOL's 30th anniversary. We really ought to mark the occasion - maybe try for the publication of The Wider Meaning of Liff?

A thousand times yes!

Someone phone JJ...

swot
938055.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote

Slonim

The act of miming a physical feature when talking about someone whose name you can't remember. My mother refers to Adam Hills as "The Australian one, Adam Somebody" while making vague arm motions around her leg.

tetsabb
938136.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Magma Carta -- a document on the rights of volcanoes?

Spud McLaren
938143.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote

It was hot off the press.

swot
938269.  Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote

Stow-cum-Quy

An abandoned condom found in the park on a Sunday morning walk.

Spud McLaren
938568.  Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote

In a similar vein -

Chorlton-cum-Hardy n.

An alfresco oral sex session.

Chorlton-upon-Medlock n.

An oral sex session to celebrate your having moved in together.

tetsabb
938578.  Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Carlton n
The desire to have any kind of oral sex session

Strawberry
938581.  Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Carlton n
The desire to have any kind of oral sex session

Watching The Fresh Prince of Bel Air will never be the same. :P

tetsabb
938592.  Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Ah, that explains the pictures of a young chap in luxurious surroundings when I first googled 'Carlton' with 'images' selected, rather than 'maps'.

bemahan
938647.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote

Carshalton n.

The pressure a person puts on another to have any kind of oral sex session.

cf. Carlton

Celebaelin
938660.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote

Carlisle n.

Any swingers resort primarily targetted at oral fetishists.

And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

Carshalton n.

2. A house rule imposed in any carlisle (q.v.) requiring visitors to accommodate residents speciality interest if so requested.

Carlabhagh n.

The exclamation of horror given by a casual visitor to a carlisle (q.v.) on first learning of the existence of a carshalton (q.v.).

Carlecotes adj.

Descriptive of the rapid exit made by a casual visitor who has just let out a carlabhagh (q.v.) and is unwilling to comply with the resort's carshalton (q.v.).

Carlton Husthwaite n.

The skittish queue formed in front of popular residents at a carlisle (q.v.).

Carlton Scroop n.

A form of muscle strain common among hillwalkers and men who wear shorts with socks and sandals. Nothing whatsoever to do with oral sex... clearly.

Page 122 of 349
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 347, 348, 349  Next