View previous topic | View next topic

Sending a PM to more than one forumee.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Posital
562810.  Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Yes - but that would require a spot of programming - it would probably be easier to move everything to a better platform - like SMF...

Susannah Dingley
562927.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote

While this certainly speeds things up when you have multiple messages to send, it is also making it easier for spammers to spam everybody’s PM boxes.

Neotenic
562931.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote

Hmmm.

You want to write a message that multiple people can read, and you're writing this on a public forum that multiple people can read.

Am I missing something?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
563149.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote

For example I want to do a group PM between Neotenic, Susannah Dingley, Posital and I. On Facebook you can already do this without having to write on the friend's wall for all friends to see. I want to be able to put more that one recipient in the username field. Currently you can only PM to one person at a time.

bemahan
563151.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Just post it on this thread, PWUM, and the rest of us will promise we won't look.

Moosh
563154.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote

I can't really imagine a situation where you'd want to send an identical message to enough people that it'd be too much effort just to copy and paste it and send individually.

But then I don't use the PM feature all that much, maybe people who use it regularly have a reason to send messages to large groups.

Posital
563283.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote

The reason would be that any reply would potentially go to each of the recipients.

All very exciting and conspiratorial, if you ask me.

Do tell...

PS: I've just checked - and no message from PWUM... :-(

Prof Wind Up Merchant
563395.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
The reason would be that any reply would potentially go to each of the recipients.

All very exciting and conspiratorial, if you ask me.

Do tell...

PS: I've just checked - and no message from PWUM... :-(

That is the idea.

Posital
563500.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Oh...

Is it true, you're the fifth Jellybotty?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
612748.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote

I am still wondering when this so called facility will be available.

Jenny
612854.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote

I think dr.bob is the only one who would know what to do to facilitate that.

Ion Zone
612971.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote

There is a shiner version of this forum does that but it really isn't worth it, it's far too complicated and not at all user-friendly. Group messages are a good way to harass people too, all you need is a list of names. :P

suze
613047.  Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote

One of the issues with introducing new features on these forums is that the software we use here isn't off-the-shelf phpBB software - it's already been modified quite a lot bu successive IT Elves to work the way QI wants it to work.

That does make it quite difficult to use a lot of the additional features which are available for phpBB forums - many of them would need to be extensively hacked to work properly here.

I have to say that I can't see why you'd ever want to do what PWUM suggests. If the number of people who need to hear what you want to say is more than about two, can't we all hear?

Jenny
613259.  Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote

I think there is also a facility to send email isn't there? So that would be another way of doing it.

Ion Zone
613296.  Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote

I think this setup is still the best version, the new one gives me eyestrain, this is a nice simple layout that loads quickly and functions well.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next