View previous topic | View next topic

Episode 1

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Gray
25585.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote

The custard trick only works with 'instant custard' - i.e. that made with cornflower and vanilla extract. It's the shape of the molecules in the cornflower in suspension that make the fluid do what it does.

If you use 'real' custard, you'll just disappear without trace!

Zaphod Beeblebrox
25587.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote

I particularly liked Bill Bailey's Noah's Ark song, with the bit about the amoeba :p

Flash - I think that programme's a good idea; instead of the next week's episode, maybe?
That way we don't have some people an episode ahead of others, also it would develop what had been said on the qi episode so people could learn more about the topics if they so desired :)

dotcom
25595.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote

My family are all avid watchers of Brainiacs, so we all knew about the custard thingy (:
I think a "Science Of QI" thing would be interesting. Like that programme they did on BBC3 after Doctor Who only without Tom Baker.

Gray
25597.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote

You and me both, dot! :-) We only get to scratch the surface of the scientific ideas in the show, but every level of explanation has more and more incredible and interlinked stuff there (this goes for any discipline, in fact). You could make infinitely many programs out of it - if only there was some brilliant format that could carry it...

Natalie
25603.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Haha...we had open day at my school today, and I was debating the custard thing with this Dad I was showing around.

Get me.

Jenny
25621.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote

I vote for 'QI Science', even though I can't watch it!

dr.bob
25774.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote

Me too. So that's me, Jenny, Gray, and dot.

That's pretty good viewing figures for a BBC4 programme :)

dr.bob
25779.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote

It's interesting to me that the QI explanation of custard describes it as a dilatant fluid.

Whenever I've heard this strange property of custard explained before, it's always been described as "thixotropic".

Are these two words equivalent?

Zaphod Beeblebrox
25780.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote

Make that 5 people. No, 7 or 8.
Me and a couple of my QI-ing friends would watch it aussi.

laidbacklazyman
25783.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote

mmmmmmm could be interesting, yeah why not I might be interested

Gray
25787.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Whenever I've heard this strange property of custard explained before, it's always been described as "thixotropic".

Are these two words equivalent?

Not quite, but similar principles are active. 'Thixotropic' refers to liquids whose viscosity goes down when agitated, the classic example being tomato ketchup (shake it, and it goes everywhere).

Dilatancy and thixotropism are both examples of non-Newtonian behaviour (i.e. their viscosity doesn't increase linearly with fluid velocity) but in opposite directions.

Rory Gilmore
25790.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote

To answer MatC's question the custard was very thick and was mixed in a cement mixer.

Cake for Brains
25842.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote

I thought the first episode of the new series was great, and just as funny as I remembered it.

My favourite moments and quotes were:
Rich Hall (on being asked if Jesus walked on custard): Maybe when he was a children's entertainer

Bill Bailey impersonanating a whale, only for Stephen to quip to welsh comedian Rob Brydon: 'He's making fun of whales'

Stephen asks how many (whatever animal it was) were on Noah's Ark, only to be greeted by silence because everyone knew it wasn't two.

Caradoc
25855.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Yes, the repeat situation at the BBC is disgraceful.

They haven't repeated Series B on BBC2 at all, but they can repeat QI as much as they like on BBC4 and UK TV where most people don't (or can't see it).

Has not the new chairidiot of the beeb decreed that the bbbc shall not be a home to repeats?

JumpingJack
25856.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote

Carl,

I think you'll find there are still plenty of repeats on BBC2, just not us.

They get "1" free repeat as a part of the package price, except when it's on UK Gold or BBC3/4 where 1=Limitless.

Or something.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next