No, not that one - that was rubbish.

QI episode 1...

I thought Brydon excelled himself.

Frederick The Monk
25508.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote

It's almost like being alive.

dotcom
25518.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote

I did a dance of joy around my sitting room.
And then I switched over to BBC4 and watched next weeks'.
Was that a -real- wine glass?

Frederick The Monk
25522.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote

It was a kinda sugary one.

Daedala
25523.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I nearly convulsed myself to death. Even got a couple of questions right. Woo.

dotcom
25527.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote

No, the one that the other guy threw.

Dr Blix
25529.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Did anybody catch the title of the book on swimming Arthur Smith mentioned in ep. 2?

dotcom
25530.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote

The Black Masseuse or something.

Dr Blix
25532.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote

I've got it Haunts of the Black Masseur: The Swimmer as Hero. Thanks for the clue.

laidbacklazyman
25545.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote

Show one was a good show, I resisted the temptation to switch to BBC4 to watch show 2 mind you, I thought I was going to be on lates this week and I would end up missing out, fortunately a favour was owed so there was no problem.

I thought Alan was a bit unlucky with the "Thomas A Beckett" bit - he definately said it wasn't him. In anycase Henry II didn't do it, it was two of his subjects, off their own back, and no court in the land be able to prove otherwise hehe.

Anywho it was a good show, I know the one with Doon in was great also (even though she shut me out of the lift), and the following weeks is even better (isn't that the one with the "incident" as filming began?)

MatC
25555.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote

Funny thing; when I watched Series B, as an innocent civilian, I thought all the comedy stuff was most entertaining. Now, watching Series C as a nelf, I find myself thinking “Yes, yes, very clever - but if you’d only shut up for a moment, you might learn something!”

Very enjoyable first two episodes, anyway, and I think Doon Mac should be on every show.

Flash
25559.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote

There's long been an idea in the ether about doing a sort of supplement show on the digital channel in which you'd have experts talking (relatively) seriously about the subjects the comedians just had a go at on BBC2 - eg last night you'd have had a chemist talking about the way that non-Newtonian dilatant fluids behave (see below), which was only briefly mentioned in the context of walking on custard, and then somebody showing how you can do practical experiments to show that the Earth is round, a historian talking about gladiators, etc.

We've never got round to doing anything about this, though. So, straw poll: would anybody watch such a programme, do you think?

(ps: Custard is a non-Newtonian 'dilatant' fluid, which means that it becomes more solid the more you agitate it - if you poke it gently your finger slips in smoothly, but if you slap it hard or stir it, it resists. Similarly, if you run over the custard, stamping your feet hard, it'll support your weight, but if you slow down or stop you'll sink in. Research is currently being carried out on a way to use dilatant fluids in bullet-proof vests. They would be useful because they are fluid (and therefore flexible) at low speeds, but very hard at the high speeds that bullets reach.)

MatC
25567.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:58 am Reply with quote

How is "custard" defined for the purpose of this experiment? Hmmm? Surely the proportions of milk to vile powder would be significant? Or, if artisan-made, the proportions of milk to egss to vomit etc (not sure of the precise ingredients; going by schooldays memories). Anyway, walking on it is a better use than eating it, that's for sure.

Charzendat
25577.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote

See my sad face :(

I missed it, and I've checked the listings and it's not going to be repeated. :( x 2

JumpingJack
25578.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote

Yes, the repeat situation at the BBC is disgraceful.

They haven't repeated Series B on BBC2 at all, but they can repeat QI as much as they like on BBC4 and UK TV where most people don't (or can't see it).

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next