View previous topic | View next topic

Anyone know when QI will be on in Wales

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

schaferlord
27067.  Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote

Confucius wrote:
If they really do get that short of ideas, combine X Y & Z to make one show.

One series surely?

failing that just do one question and have most of the show as general ignorance, a cop out but it will still be funny.

Confucius
27072.  Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote

Yeah, one series of course.

Caradoc
27213.  Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote

I forgot station X (Bletchley Park, Collosus, computers, Alan Turing, etc), the X prize (privately owned spaceships), X-Files (for Alan), Brand X (Phil Collin's Band), X rated (for the DVD?).
You vote with an X, opens up electoral peculiarities.

schaferlord
27217.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote

indeed drawing a smilie face counts as spoiling your ballot (you should also refrain from writing "can't we all just get along" over the ballot and drawing some flowers in the corners unless you don't wish to vote)

Quaint Idiot
27228.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote

The Welsh schedulers were probably just being awkward for suggesting that Welsh didn't have a word for blue. The may cut series X altogether, along with j and q as Welsh doesn't use these letters. (Algebra must be very difficult in Welsh.) However they could make the next series Ch, wich counts as a single letter.

schaferlord
27238.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote

well the one yesterday was good missed the last 5 minutes as something happened believe it was a knock on the door, either way in true student fashion I got drunk so can't remember details.

Jenny
27250.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:22 am Reply with quote

Coleridge had the same problem, schaferlord, hence the truncation of Kubla Khan.

schaferlord
27256.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote

well I'm glad I'm not alone in having that problem.

dim ots
27375.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:58 am Reply with quote

Quaint Idiot wrote:
The Welsh schedulers were probably just being awkward for suggesting that Welsh didn't have a word for blue. The may cut series X altogether, along with j and q as Welsh doesn't use these letters. (Algebra must be very difficult in Welsh.) However they could make the next series Ch, wich counts as a single letter.

What do you mean we don't have a word for blue? it's 'Glas'.
The best thing about the welsh alphabet is that it is phonetic, so really hard to just recite it, like they do in english. (I remember singing that in class as a kid). Try saying even the english alphabet fast phonetically and you'll see what i mean.
We have the best letters though.. reckon the top one is "Ng", which comes right after G and counts as one letter... makes sense, honest!

They should do QI acording to the welsh alphabet though.. would have an extra series then cos there's 27 letters in our alphabet (28 if you include j, which does exist at least in the modern alphabet due to the word 'jeli')

Last edited by dim ots on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anna
27377.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote

Quaint Idiot wrote:
The Welsh schedulers were probably just being awkward for suggesting that Welsh didn't have a word for blue.

dim ots wrote:
What do you mean we don't have a word for blue? it's 'Glas'.

That's what Quaint Idiot was saying. It might be awkward because they got that wrong in the episode.

Gaazy
27391.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote

There was a substantial thread about this immediately following the first transmission of the programme - I know, cos I started it.

It was called something like "No Welsh Word for Blue? Ludicrous!"

Flash
27462.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Yep, that was how we ensnared Gaazy in the first place.

dim ots
27522.  Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote

ah.. i see.

i just saw that episode last night, so this whole conversation is actually making much more sense now :)

Quaint Idiot
27748.  Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote

dim ots wrote:
We have the best letters though.. reckon the top one is "Ng", which comes right after G and counts as one letter... makes sense, honest!

They should do QI acording to the welsh alphabet though.. would have an extra series then cos there's 27 letters in our alphabet (28 if you include j, which does exist at least in the modern alphabet due to the word 'jeli')

Hmm... You had better start researching QI things about Ngaio Marsh if we're going to get a whole series out of the letter ng. There don't even seem to be any Welsh words starting with that letter (mutations excepted).

Though I did once know a Chinese guy called Kenneth Ng.

Natalie
27749.  Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote

A girl at my school a few years ago was called Anita Ng. Not sure about her race though (if that's the right word).

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3