View previous topic | View next topic

Revision

Page 1 of 1

Flash
25409.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote

Brought to our attention by eggshaped:
Quote:
Astonishingly, researchers at Reading University have found that watching half an hour of television at tea time can be more beneficial for improving mental powers than reading a book. The tests, on 200 students at the University, measured their IQ after undertaking both activities and found that women, especially, performed better after watching Richard and Judy. The researchers conclude that the findings may help students preparing for high-pressure situations, such as an examination. Television was compared to other pursuits such as listening to classical music, doing a crossword, or working on constructing a toy. Professor Kevin Warwick explained: "people who swot with a book before an exam or interview would be better off relaxing by watching something light like TV". The study concluded that caffeine and peanuts were excellent brain food

http://www.open.ac.uk/socialsciences/facsubset/facinfopops/society_matters/no.7/page8.pdf

Last edited by Flash on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
25437.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote

Sorry Flash,

I think that a little caution should be used here. When the story first broke, I seem to remember a few people claiming that the study was lacking in scientific merit (to put it politely).

Would probably be best to look a little deeper into the study ourselves I would think.

Flash
25536.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Quite right, well cautioned.

Frederick The Monk
25773.  Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote

And according to a slighty dubious character called Dr. ARic Sigman who is an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society)in the Daily Mail TV damages children's brains.

I'd imagine they also think it probaly damages house prices as well.

Page 1 of 1