View previous topic | View next topic

What's the smallest country in the world?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Zebra57
889629.  Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote

plinkplonk wrote:
Vatican City is not recognised by the UN (as you can often see on the TV show Pointless) unlike Monaco, which technically makes Monaco the smallest. This is to stop it voting on resolutions at UN meetings.


It is true that the Vatican City is not a UN member. However to say that is not recognised by the UN is not strictly correct. The Holy See, which holds sovereignty over Vatican City State has permanent observer status at the UN as does SMOM.

Nauru has only 9,322 residents whereas 35,881 live in Monaco, therefore Nauru and Tuvalu by population are smaller than Monaco.

 
Sadurian Mike
889792.  Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote

plinkplonk wrote:
Vatican City is not recognised by the UN.

That's because it wears a large false moustache and turns its collar up.

 
suze
889943.  Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote

As it goes, the good people at Pointless are aware that there's an issue here. I recall an occasion when the question required countries as the answers, and the contestant ventured the Vatican City. Richard stepped in and explained the matter, and the contestant was allowed to have another go.

There is nothing to prevent the Holy See / Vatican City from seeking full membership in the UN, although I'm not certain that its application would be successful. But it has chosen not to do so.

 
plinkplonk
907656.  Mon May 07, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote

More to the point, why is UN membership considered a criteria to become a country? The United Nations was formed in 1945. The first country goes back about 3000 BC.

 
Oceans Edge
907691.  Mon May 07, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Because we formed the UN in part to deal with these issues.? Otherwise any yutz with a notion to will be off declaring himself a 'Country'

 
CB27
907692.  Mon May 07, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Why is anything considered something? People set rules to settle disputes, and currently the rule for being recognised as a country includes membership of the UN.

 
suze
907707.  Mon May 07, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Well, quite. "It's a convenient way to make a list", is I suppose about the best we can do.

It wouldn't really have done before 2002 though, since until that year Switzerland chose not to be a member of the UN. There can be no sensible definition of "country" under which Switzerland wasn't one before then, so all in all it's just as well that there was no Pointless until 2009!

 
Zebra57
908700.  Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Pointless would also exclude Taiwan and Kosovo on the grounds of non-UN membership.

 
Posital
908804.  Sat May 12, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Why is anything considered something? People set rules to settle disputes, and currently the rule for being recognised as a country includes membership of the UN.
Is that the UN's rule?

 
edstephenson
938125.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote

plinkplonk wrote:
Vatican City is not recognised by the UN (as you can often see on the TV show Pointless) unlike Monaco, which technically makes Monaco the smallest. This is to stop it voting on resolutions at UN meetings.
However, Vatican City is a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (under the official name the Holy See). Presumably there is some fear that they might develop nuclear weapons.

 
Spud McLaren
938137.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote

edstephenson wrote:
... Vatican City...Presumably there is some fear that they might develop nuclear weapons.
Unlikely, since they are weapons of Mass destruction.

 
edstephenson
938268.  Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
edstephenson wrote:
... Vatican City...Presumably there is some fear that they might develop nuclear weapons.
Unlikely, since they are weapons of Mass destruction.
Pax vobiscum.

 
duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1249056.  Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Arguably the smallest country in the world is the Knights of St John. It has two headquarters in Rome, the Palazzo Malta in Via di Condotti 68 where the Grand Master resides and government bodies meet and the Villa Malta on the Avantine which hosts the Grand Priory of Rome. Fort St Angelo on the island of Malta, the Embassy of the Order to the Holy See and the Embassy of the Order to Italy have all been granted extraterritoriality.

They are recognised by over 100 countries and the UN but it's not considered a country because it lacks territory. In addition, it has 3 citizens and has been independent since 1099 whereas Sealand has 27 citizens, 9 times more than the Order. The Demonym is Hospitaller or Malteser and the official language is Italian.

Source: http://thecolorless.net/posts/42034

 
bobwilson
1249317.  Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote

I would say that Russia is the smallest nation in the world - unfortunately, there is limited space in this margin and I am unable to expand my proof.
P. Fermat

 
duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1249554.  Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
Arguably the smallest country in the world is the Knights of St John. It has two headquarters in Rome, the Palazzo Malta in Via di Condotti 68 where the Grand Master resides and government bodies meet and the Villa Malta on the Avantine which hosts the Grand Priory of Rome. Fort St Angelo on the island of Malta, the Embassy of the Order to the Holy See and the Embassy of the Order to Italy have all been granted extraterritoriality.

They are recognised by over 100 countries and the UN but it's not considered a country because it lacks territory. In addition, it has 3 citizens and has been independent since 1099 whereas Sealand has 27 citizens, 9 times more than the Order. The Demonym is Hospitaller or Malteser and the official language is Italian.

Source: http://thecolorless.net/posts/42034


Further to my previous post here's something quite interesting:

In 1680 the Portuguese built Fort Sao Joao Baptista de Ajuda in Ouidah, Dahomey as part of its contribution to the African slave trade. When this trade was abolished the fort's importance declined but, at the time of the French conquest of Dahomey in 1865, was quickly re-manned. Until its annexation by Dahomey in 1961, it was, arguably, the smallest recognised separate political entity in the world - originally 1 square kilometre in size, this was reduced to just 5 acres. And at the time of its seizure it had a population of just two!

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouidah

 

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group