View previous topic | View next topic

Poem by Elizabeth Jennings

Page 1 of 1

bemahan
523263.  Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote

When I was a teenager, if I found a poem I particularly liked, I would copy it out into an exercise book. I am trying to put these on to the computer by finding them on the internet and cutting and pasting. However, one is by Elizabeth Jennings but has no title (at least I haven't written one down). The first couple of lines are
"We have come back
Do not be surprised if we blink our eyes"

Does anyone know of a title for this, please?

Posital
581700.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Claim it is your own - it seems no-one will ever know...

bemahan
581705.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Posital - you have just spoilt my longest (I think) running "no post". Boo.
By the way, I've just realised Posital is nearly an anagram of 'spoilt'. Ok, so a miss is as good as a mile.

Posital
581715.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Oi - I spent the best part of half an hour searching for that damnable thing...

Cor lummee... and that's all the thanks I get.

Bloomin stinkin' forum - grumble grumble...

bemahan
581717.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Oi - I spent the best part of half an hour searching for that damnable thing...

Cor lummee... and that's all the thanks I get.

Bloomin stinkin' forum - grumble grumble...

Sorry - thank you very much. I rather assumed you were trawling the 'unanswered posts' list with sabotage in mind. I'm just sooo cynical.

Posital
581720.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Can't understand why :-P

bemahan
581722.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Can't understand why :-P
Ooooh, where shall I start? :)

MinervaMoon
581741.  Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Bemahan, as far as I can tell, the poem is called Attempted Suicides, which can be found in a compilation that can be purchased here. The poem's full text cannot be found online anywhere that I can find.

I was able to find it through Google's Book Search, a trick I learned a while back when I too was searching, previously in vain, for a poem I'd read when I was 14 but only remembered two lines of ("In herds, in schools, in droves, in flocks /
The men and women talk of stocks."). Ended up having to buy the book to get the full poem, but at least it cleared up Life's Mystery #4.*

*You think I'm joking. I've cleared up six but there are still many to go . . .

bemahan
581955.  Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote

Thanks Minerva - I'm very impressed and shall remember Google's book search for the future. I suspect that I didn't write that title down as it might have worried my mum if she'd seen that that was one of my favourite poems as a teen!

MinervaMoon
581957.  Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote

I once copied out a passage of Shakespeare we had to memorize for class; my mom found it and confronted me, telling me I had to be depressed because it was reflected in my writing. I was too exasperated to be flattered. (The same kind of thing was actually, I was delighted to see, a minor plot point in one of last season's episodes of House, only with Silvia Plath as the original poet.)

Page 1 of 1