View previous topic | View next topic

Mapping Los Angeles

Page 1 of 1

Neotenic
567099.  Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote

Q: In which city would you find Sunset Strip and Beverley Hills?

Klaxon: Los Angeles.

The LA Times is currently undertaking a grand scheme to properly map Los Angeles. Nobody appear to have felt this necessary before now.

Beverley Hills is an autonomous city, despite being surrounded by LA on all sides.

Sunset Strip is in West Hollywood, which is also a city in its own right, despite covering only 1.9 square miles.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/chris_ayres/article6465917.ece

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/

Posital
588745.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote

I suppose you could similarly ask "In which city is big ben?"

PDR
588752.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I suppose you could similarly ask "In which city is big ben?"

It varies - the chippendales tour to lots of cities.

PDR

suze
588766.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote

I think I must have missed this thread when it was first created, because I'm sure I'd have pedanted it if I had - Beverly Hills.

It's quite common in North America though for what one thinks of as one large city actually to be a number of cities. To take the one that I know best, Greater Vancouver actually consists of twelve cities, six districts, three villages, seventeen Indian reserves, and Area A (i.e. everywhere within the metropolis that isn't part of one of those cities, districts, villages, or reserves).

Within Area A there is also the University Endowment Lands, an area controlled directly by the University of British Columbia and answerable to no local government. It's no accident that Canada's best known clothing-optional beach is situated within the University Endowment Lands.

PDR
588787.  Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It's no accident that Canada's best known clothing-optional beach is situated within the University Endowment Lands.

Ah, I see. It's to ensure that people can check which students are suitably endowed...

PDR

Page 1 of 1