View previous topic | View next topic

Women on QI

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

bobwilson
560268.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the "fat bird" and sex jokes do wear a bit thin.

Maybe that's the Jo Brand diet?

graytart
560269.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
For example, we don't have QI (can we be added to the US petition?)

Well, if the Beeb can't be bothered to get their act together to sell the show - I'll burn a copy for you to DVD. Sod copyright laws - if they don't want to sell it then free distribution becomes a public right.

Thank you for the offer, but as it's available on DVD (some seasons anyway, yes?) I don't mind giving Stephen and the elves a few million CDN$ for it (actually our dollar has been okay lately so I don't need to make as many jokes about it). It might not play on my DVD player, but it'll be okay on the computer (my computer has a bigger screen than my TV in any case).

In any case, I have been agitating the CBC about it -- they really should show it. Mind you, they might get it into their head to try to do a Canadian version of it instead (don't laugh, they did it with the Antiques Roadshow). I can only imagine who they would find to be on a Canadian QI show. We have lots of great comedians, but not so many erudite intellectuals. There is one comedian I can think of who is smart enough to host it, but alas he is dying of cancer. Okay, maybe Rick Mercer could do it too.

nitwit02
560277.  Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Rick Mercer would be capable but the quintessential Englishness of the show is a good part of its appeal. Also, the CBC would probably cut out the naughty words ....

What I cannot understand is why the show is not on the specialty channels, BBC-Canada and BBC-America.

suze
560331.  Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote

We talked about the possibilities for an all-Canadian QI on these forums almost three years ago, although most of the discussions we had seem to have gone to the Great Recycle Bin in the Sky by now.

Colin Mochrie for the Alan Davies role was a recurring theme, and Ryan Stiles inevitably got lots of mentions to appear on the show as well. As for who should take the Stephen Fry role, we very briefly discussed Bill Shatner (I think this was irony, but you never quite know ...), and then decided to annex the US Virgin Islands and hence claim Kelsey Grammer as our own.

graytart
560364.  Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
Rick Mercer would be capable but the quintessential Englishness of the show is a good part of its appeal.

True enough. A parallel would be why the first US version of "Iron Chef" (with William Shatner as the "Chairman") tanked so badly. They failed to adopt the same serious attitude to the food of the original Japanese version.

Please, please not Colin Mochrie (who is too over-exposed now) OR Ryan Stiles (not cute or ingenuous enough). Maybe Steve Patterson from The Debaters?

Susannah Dingley
562963.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quote

Ooh, now that I have seen the episode in Series F in which Emma Thompson, Ive got to say shes my favourite of all the female guests who have appeared on QI by a country mile!

She really has a character, she has! I say, she must be invited back to the show, she really must! More Emma Thompson and less Jo Brand, please!

Euan I
567154.  Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote

Jo Brand herself offered an answer today in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/jun/10/television-panel-shows-jo-brand

themoog
567168.  Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote

Of all the women that have been on the show Ronni Ancona is the one I'd most like to see again.

dr.bob
567185.  Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote

Then you're in luck. Ms Ancona appears in the "Girls and Boys" episode of the G series currently being filmed, where she appears alongside Sandi Toksvig (and some bloke called Jack Dee).

Other women appearing in series G include Jan Ravens, Sue Perkins, Liza Tarbuck, and Jo Brand.

Sadurian Mike
567282.  Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Mmmm. Liza Tarbuck.

Can you let her know that an overweight middle-aged nerd can be hers if she plays her cards right?

Neotenic
802038.  Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
A woman should be a noisy player and a good listener

That's a slice of unintentional genius.

bikeshopgirl
873614.  Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote

I suspect that the fact that each time someone posts this not unreasonable question of why there are so few female guests on QI, the thread rapidly degenerates into the question of which two women panellists the viewers would like to see kissing, pretty much encapsulates the answer.

My hubby thinks it's because Stephen doesn't like most women. When he suggested that, I disagreed strongly, but am starting to rethink my position - after all of these seasons, it can't be accidental. It can't possibly be because there aren't enough funny female comics - I've seen a couple of hilarious and knowledgeable women on the show so far (e.g. Doon, Ronni).

It reflects very poorly on the show and its producers, so I hope this will be reexamined.

Arcane
873621.  Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote

What does Stephen have to do with liking women?! He is the presenter, he doesn't decide or control the guests. Why do people think that because he presents the show he is in charge of the show and all it entails? And over the years, I have never, ever, got the impression that Mr Fry "doesn't like women". There are funny male and female guests; yes, I'd like to see more women but I watch it for comedic value, not to see it as an example of PC gender representation.

Then again, being that this is a gravedug thread it could end up being spam.....

PDR
873624.  Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote

Most of the QI panelists are drawn from the comedian/comic-actor community - in this community men outnumber women. I suspect (but can't prove) that if you looked at the male/female distributions of that community and the show panelists you'd conclude that the show was artificially skewed in favour of women panelists!

PDR

ghoulie
877412.  Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote

I really like Sandi Toksvik! Joe Brand seems a bit out of place. Her answers are a bit too vulgar... too often.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next