View previous topic | View next topic

Women on QI

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

alifig
546779.  Sat May 02, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I'm new to this forum.
My question is... why so few women guests on QI?

Moosh
546795.  Sat May 02, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote

'Ello alifig, welcome to the boards.

I know the female guests issue has been discussed on here before, a quick search gives me these threads:

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5402&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=female+guests&start=0

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12286&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15096&start=0

Have a read and see if you've got anything to add.

Posital
547211.  Sun May 03, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote

"Which female guests would you like to see kiss eachother?"
Moosh - that's not very helpful...

How about a mad conspiracy theory or four:
"It's because SF is gay and doesn't like feminine women - so it's written in his contract."?
or
"Women aren't smart enough to pass the QI exam"?
or
"The panel is only composed of stephen's ex's"?
or
"The recordings are all balanced gender-wise - but the male ones are more interesting and the only ones released.?

Moosh
547236.  Sun May 03, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
"Which female guests would you like to see kiss eachother?"
Moosh - that's not very helpful...

I can't actually remember but it probably has people talking about who they'd want to see on the show doesn't it?

Anyway, everyone knows the real reason is that the elves get too excited when there's too many women around.

graytart
559964.  Tue May 26, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote

Hi folks, newbie from Canada here, mad follower of older British telly but I"m not too "up" on the latest stuff -- it takes forever to hop across the Pond. For example, we don't have QI (can we be added to the US petition?), which only shows how deprived we poor Colonials are...

It's hard to say what women would be good on QI, because it takes more than personality or improv skills (but both of these are essential). From both their older and current work, maybe Gwen Taylor or Sue Nicholls?

Susannah Dingley
559998.  Tue May 26, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote

I was rather impressed with Doon Mackichan when she appeared on one show in the C series.

Sadurian Mike
560158.  Tue May 26, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote

I like Jo Brand but she really needs to add a few more dimensions to her appearances. Sex and cakes only go so far*. I know she also adds her nursing knowledge (and I suspect that she is a lot cleverer than she shows) but the "fat bird" and sex jokes do wear a bit thin.

*In terms of comedy. In real life I'd be content to live a life of sex and cakes for a looong time.

bobwilson
560267.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, we don't have QI (can we be added to the US petition?)

Well, if the Beeb can't be bothered to get their act together to sell he show - I'll burn a copy for you to DVD. Sod copyright laws - if they don't want to sell it then free distribution becomes a public right.

bobwilson
560268.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the "fat bird" and sex jokes do wear a bit thin.

Maybe that's the Jo Brand diet?

graytart
560269.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
For example, we don't have QI (can we be added to the US petition?)

Well, if the Beeb can't be bothered to get their act together to sell the show - I'll burn a copy for you to DVD. Sod copyright laws - if they don't want to sell it then free distribution becomes a public right.

Thank you for the offer, but as it's available on DVD (some seasons anyway, yes?) I don't mind giving Stephen and the elves a few million CDN$ for it (actually our dollar has been okay lately so I don't need to make as many jokes about it). It might not play on my DVD player, but it'll be okay on the computer (my computer has a bigger screen than my TV in any case).

In any case, I have been agitating the CBC about it -- they really should show it. Mind you, they might get it into their head to try to do a Canadian version of it instead (don't laugh, they did it with the Antiques Roadshow). I can only imagine who they would find to be on a Canadian QI show. We have lots of great comedians, but not so many erudite intellectuals. There is one comedian I can think of who is smart enough to host it, but alas he is dying of cancer. Okay, maybe Rick Mercer could do it too.

nitwit02
560277.  Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Rick Mercer would be capable but the quintessential Englishness of the show is a good part of its appeal. Also, the CBC would probably cut out the naughty words ....

What I cannot understand is why the show is not on the specialty channels, BBC-Canada and BBC-America.

suze
560331.  Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote

We talked about the possibilities for an all-Canadian QI on these forums almost three years ago, although most of the discussions we had seem to have gone to the Great Recycle Bin in the Sky by now.

Colin Mochrie for the Alan Davies role was a recurring theme, and Ryan Stiles inevitably got lots of mentions to appear on the show as well. As for who should take the Stephen Fry role, we very briefly discussed Bill Shatner (I think this was irony, but you never quite know ...), and then decided to annex the US Virgin Islands and hence claim Kelsey Grammer as our own.

graytart
560364.  Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
Rick Mercer would be capable but the quintessential Englishness of the show is a good part of its appeal.

True enough. A parallel would be why the first US version of "Iron Chef" (with William Shatner as the "Chairman") tanked so badly. They failed to adopt the same serious attitude to the food of the original Japanese version.

Please, please not Colin Mochrie (who is too over-exposed now) OR Ryan Stiles (not cute or ingenuous enough). Maybe Steve Patterson from The Debaters?

Susannah Dingley
562963.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quote

Ooh, now that I have seen the episode in Series F in which Emma Thompson, Ive got to say shes my favourite of all the female guests who have appeared on QI by a country mile!

She really has a character, she has! I say, she must be invited back to the show, she really must! More Emma Thompson and less Jo Brand, please!

Euan I
567154.  Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote

Jo Brand herself offered an answer today in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/jun/10/television-panel-shows-jo-brand

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next