View previous topic | View next topic

Stephen Fry, man of knowledge

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Mort
25012.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 am Reply with quote

I realise that Mr. Fry must of course be reading an autocue, but he must also have an immense wealth of knowledge on whatever topic is on discussion at the moment, the autocue can't exactly predict exactly what questions panel members will ask.
Is the autocue structured like a big 'fact sheet' in case any of the panel asks about that thing? Is Mr. Fry just relying on the mass of knowledge he already has, or does he spend hours with you guys before the programme? Or do you lot just shout everything into his ear?

How does this crazy world of television work?

UncaScroogeMcD
25013.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote

Mort wrote:
I realise that Mr. Fry must of course be reading an autocue, but he must also have an immense wealth of knowledge on whatever topic is on discussion at the moment, the autocue can't exactly predict exactly what questions panel members will ask.
Is the autocue structured like a big 'fact sheet' in case any of the panel asks about that thing? Is Mr. Fry just relying on the mass of knowledge he already has, or does he spend hours with you guys before the programme? Or do you lot just shout everything into his ear?

How does this crazy world of television work?

See - these are the kind of niggling questions bonus features on a DVD set would answer ;)

Flash
25017.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote

What happens is that Stephen makes the whole lot up on the fly. Gray and Frederick the Monk sit in the bar drinking beer and talking about baby care. Brackett chats up the production co-ordinators and runners. JumpingJack stands outside the back door, smoking, and I snooze in the camera gallery. Garrick turns up half way through the recording, says "Oh God" and leaves, and MatC never turns up at all.

Gray
25022.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:50 am Reply with quote

Hey, that's totally out of order.

Fred and I drink wine.

Cleverina Clogs
25027.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote

I understand they employ researchers on the show and sometimes 'our Steve' disagrees with what they find!

laidbacklazyman
25030.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote

I think the interview I plagiarised, I mean reproduce with full credit to the author, on the last years site displayed what an articulate man Mr Fry actually is, unless of course the elves were working him from behind

Gray
25031.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote

We don't know him that well...

laidbacklazyman
25034.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote

It was all in the interpretation,

I'm sure everyone knew what I meant rathe than implied

JumpingJack
25036.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote

Cleverina

Rarely does Mr Fry disagree with his adoring elves, in fact although they sometimes respectfully disagree with him...

The depth and accuracy of QI programme research is such that no one person in the course of a mere hour and a half's ad-libbed recording could possibly be expected to outdo it.

Of course, the elfin ones do occasionally make mistakes, but these are generally discovered either by themselves, or pointed out by by posters here.

In addition, these are often not so much errors exactly as newer research into a controversial subject, or simply a different learned opinion.

This is not in the least to minimise Stephen's extraordinary gifts of memory, erudition, wit and general gorgeousness.

He is a homo inter homines and a damn fine fellow to boot and much of the show is magicked into existence from the caverns of his ginormous cerebellum any without help from Mummy.

Gray
25038.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote

I found it quite entertaining watching the extremely skilled autocue operator occasionally scrolling frantically up and down trying to find where Stephen may have gone in his ad-libbing, and when he was planning to weave it back into the linking material.

The whole recording was like watching an impromptu ballet whose choregraphy was continuously improvised by each participant in immediate response to all the others. Amazing. Even the wine 'performed'.

JumpingJack
25039.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote

Have you been at the sherry again, Gray?

Gray
25040.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote

What? And abandon this perfectly good half-pint of cherry-flavoured petrol?

JumpingJack
25041.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:39 am Reply with quote

Wait!

Don't light that cigar...

dr.bob
25123.  Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
He is a homo inter homines and a damn fine fellow to boot and much of the show is magicked into existence from the caverns of his ginormous cerebellum

Ermmm, the cerebellum is the small, primitive part of the brain located at the base of the brain and the top of the spinal cord. It is used for dealing with simple, non thought-related processes, such as reflex actions or regular things like breathing.

If Stephen uses this part of his brain to create parts of the show, what are his frontal lobes capable of?!

dotcom
25319.  Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Hey, do you reckon the show'll still be going strong in two years when I'm sixteen? And if so, can I do my work experience with you? Pretty please?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next