View previous topic | View next topic

Colin? What a load of pollacks.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

CB27
534454.  Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote

A few years back when I spent some time in the Caribbean, some beaches (not sure which islands they were) would have people selling deep fried shark served in a sort of fried bun and it was really delicious, probably the only time I actually loved seafood.

Starfish13
534653.  Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote

I was reading today about sharks, in particular Greenland shark. This is the one that Icelanders like to bury in a pit and wait until it rots before they eat it. But apparently the flesh is so concentrated in ammonia that eating is fresh is poisonous. The Inuits boil it for half a day, in several changes of water, then feed it to their dogs. I think that we're rather lucky to have colin and chips, ourselves.

Leith
535636.  Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Startfish13 wrote:
Pollack are also variously called pollock, saithe, coley, coalfish, Boston blueys and lythe.

It's possible I may be named after a pollack. I've seen a few suggested etymologies for the name of 'Leith', one of which is that it is a corruption of the Latin 'Lyth' or 'Lythe'.

See leithmuseum.ca: Definition of the word 'Leith' (though if the port of Leith is in fact named after a type fish, I think that would make it pretty unusual among UK place names).

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2