View previous topic | View next topic

Image Ignorance

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
532713.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote

A thread dedicated to pictures which are not always what they seem. For example:

Quote:
Q: To which organisation do these people belong to?

K: The Ku Klux Klan
A: The La Paz religious brotherhood

This was a photo in yesterday's copy of The Guardian.

Quote:
Seville, Spain, 5 April 2009: Hooded penitents from the La Paz religious brotherhood, one of more than 50 in Seville, parade for Palm Sunday. Their hoods, called capirotes and symbolising repentence, were first worn hundreds of years ago to ensure that the only person who knew the identity of the penitent was God. They were later adopted by the anti- Catholic Ku Klux Klan.

Posital
532851.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote

Yes - they have large statues of people similarly attired in Taxco, Mexico. Kind spooky with various instruments of self-torture.

Ion Zone
532988.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Reminds me of the original use of the swastika.

Posital
533091.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Oh - was it originally a design for some kind of boomerang?

(fains ignorance)

Ian Dunn
533151.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Oh - was it originally a design for some kind of boomerang?

(fains ignorance)

It was originally a religious symbol used in faiths such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.

Posital
533156.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote

Oooo - I found my ultimate irony icon...

Ameena
533202.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote

We had a school trip to Bignor Roman villa back when I was doing Class. Civ. for A-Level, and they had swastikas in the mosaics on the floor (but they were the other way round from the Nazi ones)...we were told it was a symbol for...errmm, well I can't remember but it was peace or friendship or some other pleasant thing anyway.

djgordy
533206.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote

Ever wanted your own set of Ku Klux Klan robes? Help is at hand.

http://www.geocities.com/kkk_kbay/page1.html

Droid
533207.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the left handed swastika = evil, right handed = good explanation is real. I suspect it originated with Dennis Wheatley (I'm fairly certain it's in the Devil rides out). I have vague recollections of seeing both forms in Indian/ Aryan? religious artworks.

Neotenic
533209.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote

I'm with you, Droid.

If one wanted to be picky about it, the NSDAP used both too - one on each side of the flag.

Sadurian Mike
533441.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote

With the original swastika it didn't matter which way it was portrayed as it just didn't have a negative connotation.

I wouldn't have put it past Dennis Wheatley to invent or further such a rumour, however, although I'm faintly surprised that he wanted to portray the Nazis as negative....

djgordy
533512.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote

The Nazis wouldn't have considered themselves evil so they wouldn't have chosen an "evil swastika" over a "good swastika".

Posital
533535.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
The Nazis wouldn't have considered themselves evil so they wouldn't have chosen an "evil swastika" over a "good swastika".

So why did the SS have a skull and crossbones - as Mitch&Webb point out?

Sadurian Mike
533547.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Same reason as the British 17th/21st lancers, Frederick the Great's Prussian cavalry, the Napoleonic Brunswickers, both Prussian and Brunswick troops in WWI ,and the German (non-SS) Panzer troops of WWII.

To look "'ard as nails".

In retrospect it was a very unfortunate choice.

The symbol, by the way, was called the "Death's Head" or "Totenkopf", and the Panzer troops used to remove it fairly quickly on the Eastern Front because they did not want to be mistaken for SS troops if captured.

bobwilson
533553.  Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Death's Head sounds slightly camp - but Totenkopf just sounds "verruckt" (plus umlaut) (as German speakers might say).

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next