View previous topic | View next topic

Most Followers on Twitter

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sebastian flyte
532830.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote

TubewayAndy wrote:

It strikes me as basic snobbery. the QI forum is somehow deemed "worthwhile" whereas Twitter (possibly because it's qiute trendy atthe moment) is written off as worthless.

Hear hear. :)

Moosh
532847.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote

I can't stand Coldplay myself, and in my experience no one raves about them. However, if you were to put it on at a gathering of varied people, few would complain. If I wanted background music then I'd put on something inoffensive but interesting, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, The Coral, Seasick Steve, etc. But for some reason people keep returning to purveyors of dross like Coldplay and U2.

However, I am repeatedly told by my peers that I'm prematurely middle aged, so my opinion of what teenagers like probably isn't worth that much

suze
532872.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote

Personally I can't be bothered with Twitter, but for sure there's no reason why it shouldn't be there for those who want to make use of it. I'm as yet unconvinced as to whether it will be around for "ever" or whether it will prove no more than a passing fad.

As for whether it's in any way more or less "worthwhile" than these very forums, I can't see that the question really means anything. The number of people who use it is hugely larger than the number who use these forums, but for the "hardcore" among us here these forums are one of the most important parts of the Internet.

As for background music, well I can't really deny that the taste in music of husband and myself is a little bit Jeremy Clarkson (indeed, stepdaughter has been known to put it in precisely these words). The inoffensive background music of choice when we have guests has an alarming tendency to be The Eagles. (At least in part because their "Best Of" album is about 2 hours long and so doesn't require much attention for tedious things like changing the CD.)

Neotenic
532882.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote

Quote:
(At least in part because their "Best Of" album is about 2 hours long and so doesn't require much attention for tedious things like changing the CD.)

So that's just the best two songs, then?

;-)

By and large, I don't really 'do' background music, excepting some deep dub reggae.

Droid
532886.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote

Quote:
So that's just the best two songs, then?

Reminds me of the review of Deepest Purple in Smash Hits back in about 1980/1.
"Not two sides of blank vinyl as you might reasonably expect." or something very similar.

I looked at Twitter once and couldn't really see a need to look again, and any sort of music works as background music for me. I usually have Planet rock playing in the kitchen when I'm cooking or washing up. But that's becuase it's one of the few stations I can get on my DAB radio.

Davini994
532891.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote

I like 'Talk' very much.

QiScorpion
535117.  Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbH63Ali9U

A joke (i hope) about Twitter.

bobwilson
535196.  Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
jewelry encrusted men who speak of Oedipizers,

What's an Oedipizer - it sounds like some kind of device for killing your dad and fucking your mum.

Quote:
It strikes me as basic snobbery. the QI forum is somehow deemed "worthwhile" whereas Twitter (possibly because it's qiute trendy atthe moment) is written off as worthless.

Since I don't "twitter" I shouldn't really comment but why change the habit of a lifetime. The difference (as I understand it) is that on Twitter you follow a person - on here you follow a thread which is multiple persons.

Incidentally, I've noticed my signature's changed - did I do that? I don't remember doing it.

bobwilson
535199.  Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I usually have Planet rock playing in the kitchen when I'm cooking or washing up. But that's becuase it's one of the few stations I can get on my DAB radio.

I just noticed Droid's statement (above). Isn't the point of DAB radio to get MORE rather than LESS choice of station?

Starfish13
535567.  Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:
Quite... I mean out of all the bands... why Coldplay???

Probably because they are the safest, least offensive, least challenging mass-appeal aural wallpaper around at the moment.

I would imagine that those with Synesthesia, when listening to their work, see nothing but Magnolia.

With accents of beige.

Ian Dunn
540400.  Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote

Forget Coldplay, there is someone else who has got way more viewers than them. The American actor Ashton Kutcher, best known for his role in That 70s Show and the creator of Punk'd, has become the first Twitter user to have over 1,000,000 followers.

Story from The Guardian

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3