Goto page Previous  1, 2

IronMonkey
532743.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote

Damn right!

good metaphor/simile

Neotenic
532747.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Pray do provide examples - preferrably not ones which include examples of stupidity such as "What, literally, is that all about?"

Ot of curiosity, what are you basing your opinion of Ms Moran's writing on? Is it sustained reading of her regular columns over many years, or is it a facile interpretation of a single sentence?

Did you even bother to go and dig out the full column the quote was lifted from?

Caitlin is not a 'serious' commentator - her columns appear in the Times 2 section of the paper, and the tone reflects that. A selection of them appear here. The quote in question was lifted from her TV reviews, which I think only the most needlessly churlish would expect to be biting and incisive high-journalism. It's here, by the way.

I recall that Charlie Brooker has had the same problem with people in the States, reading his jovial G2 column, shorn of context on the website, as if it had appeared in the paper as a leading article. ?more on that here, and in neat circular fashion, he quotes Stewart Lee.

Quote:
I don't get paid for being a twat.

Are we to assume that you're a being a twat on a pro bono basis, then?

Theblazeuk
533953.  Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote

I can't find where it was ever suggested that that sentence came from a 'serious' commentary.

bobwilson
534418.  Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what are you basing your opinion of Ms Moran's writing on? Is it sustained reading of her regular columns over many years, or is it a facile interpretation of a single sentence?

It was a facile interpretation of a single sentence. The sentence in question being "What, literally, is that all about?". Now that would be an acceptable slip of the tongue in an interview - but it is totally unforgiveable in an article that is pre-written and submitted for publication (unless meant tongue in cheek).

Quote:
Did you even bother to go and dig out the full column the quote was lifted from?

No. Incidentally, I also read the first two words of the Da Vinci Code (Renowned curator) and slung the book across the room in disgust. Later, I decided to have another slog and waded through about 5 pages before realising that my initial prognosis was correct. Sometimes you really can tell the worth of writers by a very few words. Hence my:
Quote:
Pray do provide examples

I really can't be bothered to wade through the back catalogue of someone who uses the construct "What, literally, is that all about?" when it would be so much easier for you to point me to something worth reading.

Quote:
Are we to assume that you're a being a twat on a pro bono basis, then?

Yep - there's no charge to either yourself or any other person. Ms Moran, on the other hand, appears to be paid for her musings.

I appreciate you've posted a link to a selection of Ms Moran's journalistic musings. But rather than wade through them all, could you direct me to any one that you consider insightful and/or well written? I'm sure Dan Brown must have written something good too but I'm damned if I'm going to read the whole of his oeuvre on the offchance of finding a decent paragraph.

Quote:
I can't find where it was ever suggested that that sentence came from a 'serious' commentary.

Quite blaze

Mort
536782.  Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote

What ever happened to this series? There hasn't been a new episode in ages.

Ian Dunn
536790.  Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote

Mort wrote:

The last episode has been delayed because of the Master's golf tournament last week. It returns this Friday with guest Johnny Vegas.

QiScorpion
537975.  Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Mort wrote:

The last episode has been delayed because of the Master's golf tournament last week. It returns this Friday with guest Johnny Vegas.

my mistake. i had mistakenly assumed you were talking about Qi...

althouhg, that series was quite short too...

IronMonkey
538032.  Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote

The 'f' series of QI

It was 12 episodes long.

QiScorpion
539014.  Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote

IronMonkey wrote:
The 'f' series of QI

It was 12 episodes long.

i have a horrible feeling i missed most of them :( and it'll be years before the F series DVD is released ah well.

IronMonkey
539927.  Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote

i'm sure Dave will have them soon

Posital
540010.  Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote

IronMonkey wrote:
i'm sure Dave will have them soon

Mr Gorman must be quite quick to spot a niche market... clever man.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2